News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the Left Survive the Millennials?

Started by Hamilcar, September 23, 2016, 01:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 26, 2016, 04:49:42 PM
My understanding of the economics of game design is that there are significant up front development costs but unit variable costs are tiny.  So maximizing revenue is critical. 

If segment "X" is 10% of the population and only 2% of sales, and there is no obvious reason why segment "X" would not be interested in the produce, then the industry is just throwing money out the window.

Aren't most non-whites in Sweden poor immigrants from Africa? If so, not exactly the demographics you want to spend a lot of money targetting with a leisure high tech product, I'd imagine.

Besides, even for a product with high up front development costs and tiny unit variable costs, if your product is selling reasonably well with the general public but seems not to be of interest to a minor demographics, the solution is not as simple as "just start selling it to the minor demographics". You have to run a research why they are not buying the product, analyse the results, and adjust your marketing campaign - or even the product itself. All of this costs money - and the potential benefits may simply not be worth it.

The Brain

Like so much on the left the idea that dissemination of culture is bad is completely retarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2016, 02:24:03 PM
Here's a fine example from Garbon's article:

QuoteAs a Nigerian, I could easily empathize. A few years ago when the popular English chef Jamie Oliver came out with his own recipe for Jollof rice, a West African dish that West Africans themselves debate who makes it the best, many all over the diaspora took to the internet to reject it and let him know, thanks, but no thanks. If Jollof is to be the international sensation it ought to be, it will not be Jamie Oliver who makes it so. (Also, as a Nigerian, I never miss an opportunity to state a truth: Nigerian Jollof is the best. End of story.)

... so this author would rather that a national dish of his country not be popularized, than be popularized by an "English chef". He doesn't appear to realize, or care, that every Nigerian wishing to market this dish outside of West Africa would be better off if it were popularized by a famous English chef: few Westerners are likely to be able to afford Jamie Oliver's cooking, but they are surely more likely to buy "Jollof" from a Nigerian cook if they have heard of it.

As an aside, Nigerian food is awesome. Maybe Atlanta just isn't trendy enough and it is catching on in places like New York and London already, but I think it is only a matter of time before Nigerian food becomes a big thing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014