Who Is The Most Reviled Person in Your Country's History?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 20, 2016, 08:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on September 21, 2016, 02:33:42 AM
The referee in Spain-Korea's QF game in WC 2002.

Really, that's about the only figure you could get a semblance of national consensus around. In this country half the nation's villain is the other half's national hero.

I think that's the only game I remember from that WC. :D :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 21, 2016, 02:33:42 AM
The referee in Spain-Korea's QF game in WC 2002.

Him or Tassotti.

QuoteReally, that's about the only figure you could get a semblance of national consensus around. In this country half the nation's villain is the other half's national hero.

Maybe Fernando VII.  :P

celedhring

Fernando VII would be my pick, but I don't get the feeling he's a big figure in the minds of most of our compatriots.

Delirium

A good candidate is Gustav IV Adolf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_IV_Adolf_of_Sweden

200+ years after the fact he is still the scapegoat for why Finland was lost to the Russkies.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

celedhring

Took the question to the Spanish Paradox Forum and Fernando VII seems to be winning in a landslide. That's a more educated audience than your average Spaniard, though.

Oexmelin

Amherst has made a comeback as most reviled, as the smallpox blankets episode is slowly trickling into historical imagination.

I am sure someone like Parizeau or Lévesque would count in English Canada.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2016, 08:53:00 PM
I've left it to Tyr to name Thatcher.  :P

Even thinking neutrally it is clearly so.
Memory doesn't go back more than a few decades and she still looms heavy.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Tough one.
It could be Mussert, leader of the collaborators during the war, but he's more ridiculed than reviled nowadays.

If foreigners count then I guess either Seyss-Inquart, the Duke of Alva or maybe Balthasar Gerard.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 21, 2016, 04:40:55 AM
Amherst has made a comeback as most reviled, as the smallpox blankets episode is slowly trickling into historical imagination.

I am sure someone like Parizeau or Lévesque would count in English Canada.

I am sure they would not.  :lol:

After Homolka, I'd go with ex-Colonel Russell Williams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Williams_(colonel)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: Zanza on September 21, 2016, 01:56:58 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 21, 2016, 12:34:17 AM
For longevity it would have to be King John. He'll still be up there when people like Blair and Thatcher are long forgotten.
Not Richard III?

Robin Hood legends trump Shakespeare's play.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

Quote from: Agelastus on September 21, 2016, 08:35:59 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 21, 2016, 01:56:58 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 21, 2016, 12:34:17 AM
For longevity it would have to be King John. He'll still be up there when people like Blair and Thatcher are long forgotten.
Not Richard III?

Robin Hood legends trump Shakespeare's play.

Also "Richardians". There is no such thing as "John-ians".  :D Even revisionists more or less agree he was a jerk.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius