Who Is The Most Reviled Person in Your Country's History?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 20, 2016, 08:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 20, 2016, 08:52:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2016, 08:49:57 PM
I think it would probably be a generational thing.  Plenty of Boomers still see LBJ/Nixon in their nightmares, depending on their side of the aisle.  Or Dick Cheney/Bill Clinton.  Or, in grumbler's case, nobody else remembers how much of a fucking asshole Aaron Burr was.
How political of you.

Fine, then.  "Most Reviled Person In Your Country's History"?  Timothy McVeigh is definitely up there on the leaderboard.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2016, 08:59:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 20, 2016, 08:52:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2016, 08:49:57 PM
I think it would probably be a generational thing.  Plenty of Boomers still see LBJ/Nixon in their nightmares, depending on their side of the aisle.  Or Dick Cheney/Bill Clinton.  Or, in grumbler's case, nobody else remembers how much of a fucking asshole Aaron Burr was.
How political of you.

Fine, then.  "Most Reviled Person In Your Country's History"?  Timothy McVeigh is definitely up there on the leaderboard.

:lol: Fuck that POS was at the top of my list below the shithead I post. Freaky.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

John C Calhoun. Roger B Taney.

So sue me for focusing on the most reviled institution in my country's history :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2016, 08:40:07 PM
WInston Churchill or Tony Blair.  :bowler:

Huh. With all the devoted Imperialists who subjugated millions that was the best you could come up with?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on September 20, 2016, 08:41:09 PM
In Canada, definitely Karla Homolka.

But historically, Canada has very few reviled, loathsome characters (except Adrien Arcand, which I suspect no one now remembers).

Really?  More so than Bernardo himself?  I don't buy it.

Although I kind of don't mind him (though now he's going on about Trump) how about Conrad Black?  Gave up his citizenship so he could be a British Lord, but came crawling back after being convicted of fraud in the US?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Wait you cannot be both Canadian and a lord? Huh. Why not?

dps

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2016, 09:45:02 PM
Wait you cannot be both Canadian and a lord? Huh. Why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_titles_debate

A long and fairly stupid debate.  In particular in Black's case - he was both a Canadian and UK citizen, and seemingly for purely political purposes Chretien blocked his appointment.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

How do Canadians consider rebellion leaders like Louis Riel or the Quebec rebels?  Romanticized? 

But Drakken is right; definitely the Ken and Barbie Murders.  Or Tie Domi.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2016, 09:21:17 PM
John C Calhoun. Roger B Taney.

So sue me for focusing on the most reviled institution in my country's history :P

The United States Senate or the Office of the Attorney General?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2016, 09:21:17 PM
John C Calhoun.

But don't you think that future generations of his family make up for any shortcomings he may have had?  :ph34r:

OJ Simpson deserves a vote. Probably also Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014