Who Is The Most Reviled Person in Your Country's History?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 20, 2016, 08:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

While Bill Keane is a definite contender, I'll go with Henry Ford.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2016, 10:00:09 PM
How do Canadians consider rebellion leaders like Louis Riel or the Quebec rebels?  Romanticized? 

But Drakken is right; definitely the Ken and Barbie Murders.  Or Tie Domi.

Not sure which "Quebec rebels" you're thinking of.

Riel is very complicated.  On the one hand he is considered a "father of confederation".  He helped Manitoba join Confederation.  He took up arms and formed a provisional government, but it was during an odd moment in time between when the HBC gave up sovereignty, and before Canada had really taken it up, so it was forgiven.

Then he took up arms again, 15 years later, which got him hanged as a traitor.  Some people disagree with that (I don't), but enough people definitely admire him so he doesn't qualify.

And Tie Domi doesn't have to buy a drink ever again in his life as far as I can tell. :wub:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2016, 10:16:14 PM
Not sure which "Quebec rebels" you're thinking of.

The Rebellions of the 1837.  Had to google it.

QuoteThen he took up arms again, 15 years later, which got him hanged as a traitor.  Some people disagree with that (I don't)

LOL, imagine that.

QuoteAnd Tie Domi doesn't have to buy a drink ever again in his life as far as I can tell. :wub:

Barf.  How can a Dudley Do-Right like yourself stand with Pure Eviltm, and still manage to sleep through the night?

Barrister

How the fuck is Tie Domi considered to be Pure Evil?  The job of a hockey enforcer is a long and noble calling amongst my people. -_-

And the 1830s rebels are generally considered to be on the right side of history.  Both in Upper and Lower Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2016, 09:42:26 PM

Really?  More so than Bernardo himself?  I don't buy it.

She gave her own sister to be 'taken' by Bernardo, and she died choking on her own vomit while she was passed out. She participated to his rapes and murders on her own free will, and played the battered wife following him under duress when in fact the stashed videos showed she was in fact a willing accomplice.

She did her sentence until the last second, because she refused to submit to any rehabilitation workshop or take responsability for her past actions. In fact, it was discovered she kept a lesbian relationship with a fellow female inmate in Tanguay penitenciary, while keeping correspondence with another man who is jailed for life for murdering his own girlfriend. Plus, she kept refering herself as Karla Teale in her private diary, knowing that Bernardo used Paul Teale as pseudonym.

This is why I believe, in balance, she is even more reviled than Bernardo now. While Bernardo will rot in jail until he dies, Homolka is not only a free woman, but is now a mother with young children and she has never expressed any genuine remorse for her crimes. She played her cards and has not paid the dues, while Bernardo does.

She is living in Quebec (South Shore of Montreal IIRC) under a new name. Yet quite a few parents even refuse to let their children play with hers and welcome them in their homes after learning who their mother was.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2016, 10:47:37 PM
And the 1830s rebels are generally considered to be on the right side of history.  Both in Upper and Lower Canada.

There is only one rebellion that counts in Quebec: the Patriotes. The vast majority even ignore there was one in Upper Canada as well, and the name William Lyon Mackenzie does not ring any bell.

Which is ironic but not surprising, since the latter was the successful rebellion while the former abysmally failed. People love noble failures.

Martinus

Richard Hakluyt

For longevity it would have to be King John. He'll still be up there when people like Blair and Thatcher are long forgotten.

Archy

Leopold II- Congo Free State and marrying mirganatically marrying his prostitute just before his.
Leopold III -  Did stay in Belgium during WWII after capitulation, ignoring his government calls to GTFO. Made in thereafter a visit to Mr. Hitler. Married a commoner. After the war he had to stay in Switzerland and his brother became regent. In 1950 they held a referendum about his return,  which proponents closely won. This caused unrest since Wallonia was anti and Flanders pro. This was closest Belgium came to a civil war. He abdicated for his son Balduin.

I don't mention politicians other men's reviled foe is another men's hero.

Liep

Tough question. If it wasn't for his impressive buildings scattered around Copenhagen then perhaps C4.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 21, 2016, 12:34:17 AM
For longevity it would have to be King John. He'll still be up there when people like Blair and Thatcher are long forgotten.
Not Richard III?

Duque de Bragança

Miguel de Vasconcelos, whose name is synonymous of collaborator in Portugal, with a fitting end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Vasconcelos

QuoteHe was probably the most hated collaborator with the Spanish, considered a traitor during the last years of the Philippine Dynasty, especially after the revolts of 1637. On the morning of 1 December 1640, a group of Portuguese noblemen who wanted to restore full independence started a revolution, immediately supported by the people of Lisbon. After entering the palace, the conspirators sought Miguel Vasconcelos, but saw no sign of him. They would eventually find Miguel de Vasconcelos hidden in a closet with a gun. His movements within the small closet and the rustling of papers inside gave away his position. He was shot to death and defenestrated, leaving his corpse to the angry public.

celedhring

The referee in Spain-Korea's QF game in WC 2002.

Really, that's about the only figure you could get a semblance of national consensus around. In this country half the nation's villain is the other half's national hero.