News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Brazen plan a trip to New York

Started by Brazen, August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2016, 12:54:28 PM
How long is the subway ride from Midtown to Williamsburg?  Coney Island?

Williamsburg is just over the river.  From grand central maybe 20 mins, there is a transfer.
Coney Island is a lot further out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Brazen

Great ideas and tips, thanks everyone. Any particular hotel/Airbnb you'd recommend?

Brazen

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2016, 09:54:17 AM
Are you talking about going this September, or next September?

My sister has a rather decent apartment right in Manhattan that is empty right now. I could probably get her to let you stay there...
Aww, that would have been more than perfect, thanks, but it's next September I'm aiming for :(

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on September 01, 2016, 05:39:41 AM
Great ideas and tips, thanks everyone. Any particular hotel/Airbnb you'd recommend?

I think my favorite (in realm of NYC affordable) is The Muse. Generally Kimpton hotels are nice.

On the cheaper end the Holiday Inn Express near Madison Square. Area around Madison Square isn't all that lovely but the hotel is alright for a Holiday Inn.

I haven't stayed at them but I know the hilton and doubletree that are near the UN building are much cheaper than their other namesakes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Maybe you can do some kind of house share thing. When I went I was there with two friends who live in Paris and they swapped houses for a week with a couple that lived in a fancy part of Brooklyn.

The Minsky Moment

I'm a bit out of touch - mostly give recs to people coming in on expense accounts.  i'd defer to garbo.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2016, 10:06:31 PM

I'm a bit out of touch - mostly give recs to people coming in on expense accounts.  i'd defer to garbo.

I know it's a year out... but Minsky, you would very much enjoy meeting Brazen when she rolls through town. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

NYC is a terrible place.  With terrible people.  Go to Boston instead.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 02, 2016, 08:44:57 AM
NYC is a terrible place.  With terrible people.  Go to Boston instead.

lol. "That place is nothing but assholes.  You should to this place with nothing but assholes instead."