News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Brazen plan a trip to New York

Started by Brazen, August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 09:30:27 AM
Food wise, what I recall from my sole visit to NY 15 years ago is that the portion sizes were massive. I particularly remember a salt beef sandwich which was so thick I had to deconstruct it in order to eat it.

I liked Central Park, the NH museum, MOMA particularly.

MoMA over the Met? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 07:09:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 06:59:36 AM
You should really see Manhattan at Christmas, though.

I don't see why. Snow gets dirt black fast and you are more liable to slip on black ice.
[/quote]

:lol: what a bitch.

"Hawaii?  Ugh, all that sand in your shoes."

Gups

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 09:36:06 AM
Food wise, what I recall from my sole visit to NY 15 years ago is that the portion sizes were massive. I particularly remember a salt beef sandwich which was so thick I had to deconstruct it in order to eat it.

I possibly didn't go to the Met. Or I might be confusing the two. It was a long time ago and I'm old. There was some aboriginal art and some historical dioramas (or was that Night at the Museum?). Did I tell you about the giant sandwich?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 09:37:55 AM

I don't see why. Snow gets dirt black fast and you are more liable to slip on black ice.

[/quote]

Don't talk to me about the Niagra Falls. I got fucking soaked.

Brazen

Anyway, if and when I do manage to make it over, the least you Septics* could do is arrange a Languish NY meet in my honour. We've had Euro meets with members from at least half a dozen countries!

*ask a Londoner

Berkut

Quote from: Brazen on August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM
In a couple of weeks I turn 49 (or forty-fucking-nine as it's correctly pronounced). Which means next September is a big one. Since I first saw it on television as a child, I have always wanted to visit New York, and that's been confirmed as the years have gone on by awesome reports from friends who've been there, so I'm considering a trip there.

While I'd like to do it in style, my budget is limited, so I'd rather do a shorter trip with a better hotel and itinerary than stay longer, and I'd like to get the basics right.

So I ask Languish is September a good time to go, what airport should I fly into, what district should I stay in, how do I get about, ideally by public transport but taxi where necessary, and most importantly what are the must-visit attractions and places to eat and drink? And where I can use my aphrodisiac accent to best effect.

Are you talking about going this September, or next September?

My sister has a rather decent apartment right in Manhattan that is empty right now. I could probably get her to let you stay there...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

If I were going to NYC I would definitely want to scope the hipster parts of Brooklyn.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2016, 09:56:20 AM
If I were going to NYC I would definitely want to scope the hipster parts of Brooklyn.

That is where my buddy lives. It just looks like rows of brownstones to me but I am sure much hipsterness lurks underneath.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Only time ever in NYC was 15 years ago, two months after 9/11.  It's an amazing city (though after my summer trip, it very much has a similar vibe as London).

You of course want to stay on Manhattan, midtown sounds about right (though cabs and subways make it pretty easy to get around).  The bizarre thing about NYC is how you feel like you know the place despite never having visited due to it's overwhelming pop culture presence.

A place like Carnegie Deli, despite everyone going there (it's the place with the corned beef sandwich the size of your own head) really can be skipped though.  I skipped out on the Statue of Liberty and I think that is the right call for a limited duration trip - you'll be stuck out on a boat for a good chunk of a day.

Be sure to see a show (which I failed to do).  Since I visited just two months after 9/11, I would definitely make a point of checking out the 9/11 memorial and museum (though your priorities may be different).  And if high end shopping is your thing you've come to the right place.

Central Park is obviously cool.  The Met is amazing and must be visited.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 09:40:08 AM
Don't talk to me about the Niagra Falls. I got fucking soaked.

What, you thought it would just be pouring gently over, like an overfilled sink?  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 09:38:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 09:36:06 AM

I possibly didn't go to the Met. Or I might be confusing the two. It was a long time ago and I'm old. There was some aboriginal art and some historical dioramas (or was that Night at the Museum?). Did I tell you about the giant sandwich?

Oh that's the Met. MoMA is just full of modern art pieces.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 09:37:55 AM

Honestly though, NYC is not really all that grand with snow. Only really if you manage to be there at a new snow, otherwise it is quite ugly. I think I might know. ;)

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2016, 09:59:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2016, 09:56:20 AM

That is where my buddy lives. It just looks like rows of brownstones to me but I am sure much hipsterness lurks underneath.

:hmm:

Williamsburg looks pretty hipster like.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 10:02:23 AM
Be sure to see a show (which I failed to do).  Since I visited just two months after 9/11, I would definitely make a point of checking out the 9/11 memorial and museum (though your priorities may be different).

I'd probably skip the museum as it sounds overly tacky. The infinity pools outside, which you can view for free, are quite worth it.

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 10:02:23 AM
And if high end shopping is your thing you've come to the right place.

Yes and no vs. London. Actually biggest issue being that sample sales will all be over (think summer) so will be cheaper, of course, than London - not the great steals it could be. Just learned too that Barney's Warehouse sale is no longer a thing. :o