Help Brazen plan a trip to New York

Started by Brazen, August 30, 2016, 05:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 11:33:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 09:37:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 07:09:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 06:59:36 AM
You should really see Manhattan at Christmas, though.

I don't see why. Snow gets dirt black fast and you are more liable to slip on black ice.

:lol: what a bitch.

"Hawaii?  Ugh, all that sand in your shoes."

Honestly though, NYC is not really all that grand with snow. Only really if you manage to be there at a new snow, otherwise it is quite ugly. I think I might know. ;)

Enough with the goddamned snow already.  I'm talking about the Xmas lights, the holiday decorations, Rockefeller, Madison and 5th.  Not the goddamned DSNY snow removal protocol.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 11:40:17 AM

I don't see why. Snow gets dirt black fast and you are more liable to slip on black ice.

Honestly though, NYC is not really all that grand with snow. Only really if you manage to be there at a new snow, otherwise it is quite ugly. I think I might know. ;)

Enough with the goddamned snow already.  I'm talking about the Xmas lights, the holiday decorations, Rockefeller, Madison and 5th.  Not the goddamned DSNY snow removal protocol.

Oh, I forgot that there are people who get all excited about tacky coloured lights and would prefer that to ease of travel/comfort in standing outdoors. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 11:41:26 AM
Oh, I forgot that there are people who get all excited about tacky coloured lights and would prefer that to ease of travel/comfort in standing outdoors. <_<

:o
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2016, 11:43:00 AM

:o

I'm at work. Get used to it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Dude, you don't want to be within a half-mile of Rockefeller on the ground during the Christmas rush if you have any hint of a problem with tightly packed crowds.  The GF and I used to go up to some friends who had access to a nearby rooftop and got the scenery that way.  Of course, we're also enough of cheapskates that we just roll into the city slightly above Hell's Kitchen and hoof it north.
Experience bij!

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 10:02:23 AMYou of course want to stay on Manhattan, midtown sounds about right (though cabs and subways make it pretty easy to get around).  The bizarre thing about NYC is how you feel like you know the place despite never having visited due to it's overwhelming pop culture presence.

Agree. Almost everything that must be visited is around Manhattan, so you don't want to be lodged in another borough and spend a good chunk of your time there on a bus or subway.

QuoteA place like Carnegie Deli, despite everyone going there (it's the place with the corned beef sandwich the size of your own head) really can be skipped though.  I skipped out on the Statue of Liberty and I think that is the right call for a limited duration trip - you'll be stuck out on a boat for a good chunk of a day.

Agree as well. When I went I also skipped the statue of Liberty. Instead we took the Staten Island ferry (it's free!) and saw it from far away. The Carnegie Deli (the one from "When Harry Met Sally") is also skippable, it's fairly expensive and crowded and it's slightly far away from other interesting places. And the corned beef is meh.

QuoteBe sure to see a show (which I failed to do).

There's this place in Times Square where they sell relatively cheap tickets for Broadway shows. I went to see Chicago and it wasn't that expensive. Then again I don't know how exciting this can be to a Londoner that also has access to this kind of shows at home.

QuoteCentral Park is obviously cool.  The Met is amazing and must be visited.

Central Park is very nice and cool but it's "only" a park at the end of the day. There are some cool bits, like the Strawberry Fields memorial, but it's not as if you have to devote an entire day to walking it up and down. The view of the XIXth century buildings that surround it from the Great Lawn is gorgeous, though.

I didn't visit the Met and it's been a huge regret. I did visit the MoMa and loved it, and the Natural History museum, which was slightly dissapointing.

Another tourist must, go up some skyscraper and see the views from there. We went to the Rockefeller Plaza and it was great.

The Larch

Btw, very nerdy thing to do as well. Look up in advance where in the city a show or film you really like was shot and see it for real. My cousins went to see the building where the "Friends" gang was supposed to live (it's somewhere in Greenwich Village IIRC). I went to see where Vito Corleone's olive oil business was located.

I also looked up where the Avengers' mansion and the Hellfire Club were supposed to be and saw those places from outside.  :nerd:

garbon

Valmy

I went inside that diner from Seinfeld. It looks nothing like the set inside  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on August 30, 2016, 11:55:50 AM
Another tourist must, go up some skyscraper and see the views from there. We went to the Rockefeller Plaza and it was great.

We went up the Empire State Building, which at that point was again the tallest building in NYC.  Of course all I really remember was the smoldering rubble from the towers visible in the distance.:(  ESB is a stunning building though with its fabulous art deco design, and probably worth visiting.

I suppose the building to go see these days would be One World Trade Centre.  Although Trump Tower would probably have a certain kitschy appeal - be sure to try the taco bowl!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

This from the guy who got mad at me for calling Valmy's belief's quasi-religious!

Insulting someone's faith in X-Mas lights!

You sir, are a bully!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 12:02:18 PM
Very lame thing to do as well. ^_^

He's in The Business.

In London I insisted on visiting the Royal Court of Justice, and got my picture taken outside the Old Bailey.  It was very lame and nerdy to most people, but it was important to me.

The Larch

[Mono] Also, it's perfectly acceptable to have lunch on the go with a hot dog or a bagel from some street cart. Food is good, it keeps you going and it's not expensive at all, so you save both time and money! [/mono]

Barrister

Oh another thing I insisted on doing in NYC - I bought a fake rolex from guy on a street corner for $10. :D

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 12:04:03 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 30, 2016, 11:55:50 AM

We went up the Empire State Building, which at that point was again the tallest building in NYC.  Of course all I really remember was the smoldering rubble from the towers visible in the distance.:(  ESB is a stunning building though with its fabulous art deco design, and probably worth visiting.

I suppose the building to go see these days would be One World Trade Centre.  Although Trump Tower would probably have a certain kitschy appeal - be sure to try the taco bowl!

We were told to go to the Rockefeller Plaza because the Empire State Building is visible from there and that's a sight to behold. Personally I liked the Chrysler better, but the ESB is iconic.