England
17 (43.6%)
France
18 (46.2%)
Heideger Jaronische Reich
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Admiral Yi

I was thinking about a who root for poll on the War of the Roses, but at this point I can't see anyone voting for the Yorkists.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

I don't particularly root for either side.

I do like Henry V and Joan of Arc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2016, 07:24:57 PM
I was thinking about a who root for poll on the War of the Roses, but at this point I can't see anyone voting for the Yorkists.

Uh, me. Lancaster sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

The war's actual outcome was about as positive for future development as we could have hoped for, so that's what i "root for."  A long-term English crown presence in France would have delayed or even stopped the development of the system of common law and devolved powers that made England (and later, Britain) the cockpit of democracy, liberalism, and market capitalism.  A longer stay on the continent would have reinforced absolutism and sucked the economy dry of money to pay for wars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2016, 08:48:01 PM

Uh, me. Lancaster sucks.
Seriously.  Who the hell would support the Lancaster or Tudor factions?  York is the only legitimate option and legitimate claim. :bowler:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 27, 2016, 08:49:41 PM

Uh, me. Lancaster sucks.
Seriously.  Who the hell would support the Lancaster or Tudor factions?  York is the only legitimate option and legitimate claim. :bowler:

I might name my next kid "Rutland".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 27, 2016, 08:49:41 PM

Uh, me. Lancaster sucks.

"Right of conquest" is the basis for the York claim to the throne, so it is no more legitimate than Lancaster or Tudor.  In fact, Henry VII is probably more legitimate than the others because he claimed to be the conqueror himself, not the watered-down descendant of a conqueror.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2016, 09:06:03 PM
"Right of conquest" is the basis for the York claim to the throne, so it is no more legitimate than Lancaster or Tudor.  In fact, Henry VII is probably more legitimate than the others because he claimed to be the conqueror himself, not the watered-down descendant of a conqueror.
Meh.  He only managed that as there weren't any other major claimants left over to oppose him and it allowed him to declare any supporter of Richard III as a traitor and attain them.  He initially drew on his ties to the Plantagenet Dynasty as his claim prior to Bosworth and married Elizabeth of York to firm up the familial claim and lineage aspect.  Edward could have claimed his rule via "Right of Conquest", but the better and more respectable route was via lineage at the point in time.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2016, 08:49:15 PM
The war's actual outcome was about as positive for future development as we could have hoped for, so that's what i "root for."  A long-term English crown presence in France would have delayed or even stopped the development of the system of common law and devolved powers that made England (and later, Britain) the cockpit of democracy, liberalism, and market capitalism.  A longer stay on the continent would have reinforced absolutism and sucked the economy dry of money to pay for wars.
This option for the poll at hand.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2016, 07:50:14 PM
Not France. Have you seen that country?

Yeah it is amazing :hmm:

Or at least it was 16 or so years ago.

France of course. Even though the English aggression that triggered the war set up the system that allowed the French King to tax without having to call the Estates which I consider a rather unfortunate development. It is hard to imagine a world where the war was not fought though so who knows how things might have developed? There probably might not even be a France today with how decentralized it was at the time. Who knows?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."