News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Cal plan a cruise

Started by Caliga, August 28, 2016, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2016, 02:22:00 PM
Your old pal Cal is looking into the possibility of going on a cruise this coming December.

Right now I'm looking at two itineraries:

One leaves from Miami and stops in San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts.

The other leaves from San Juan and stops in Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas.

Are any of the above places either super awesome or total shitholes?  The cruise line is Celebrity.  I'm open to other suggestions except Carnival (sorry, I don't go on ghetto cruises), and had also been looking at Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Princess.

I liked San Juan, the old town and the forts are well worth seeing.  (Though I was there before the economy collapsed.)

The plane didn't land when i was on St. Maarten.  The port gets real sketchy real quick once you get away from the beach or the tourist shopping streets.

I liked St. Thomas; if you want a day at the beach, Magens Bay is well worth seeing.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2016, 02:22:00 PM
Your old pal Cal is looking into the possibility of going on a cruise this coming December.

Right now I'm looking at two itineraries:

One leaves from Miami and stops in San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts.

The other leaves from San Juan and stops in Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas.

Are any of the above places either super awesome or total shitholes?  The cruise line is Celebrity.  I'm open to other suggestions except Carnival (sorry, I don't go on ghetto cruises), and had also been looking at Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Princess.
Look for February instead, better cruise:
http://70000tons.com/

;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

His ex dragged him to Disney World a bunch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 29, 2016, 04:02:22 PM
His ex dragged him to Disney World a bunch.

And? That was not the question I asked him.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I pick up chicks at Chucky Cheese. Cheaper. Pizza and tokens.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

And they can't identify with absolute certainty who touched who where in the ball pit anyway.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on August 29, 2016, 04:34:34 AM
Why not just visit these places without the agony of being stuck on a ship with a bunch of dioreah ridden oldies?

I do see the advantages of a cruise.  You don't have to worry about hotels and transportation in each stop.  Cruise does offer a certain level of quality assurance.  It won't be great, but it won't fall through the bottom, generally.  It is a comfortable and painless way of visiting lots of places within a short time. 

Tonitrus

Monoriu

When I was a little kid, one day I woke up, looked out the window and saw this ship entering Hong Kong's harbour -

Father said it was the Queen Elizabeth II, doing a world tour.  It became a childhood dream of mine to do such a trip.  The ship is no longer in operation and I have grown somewhat disillusioned with cruises. 

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on August 29, 2016, 09:35:20 PM
The ship is no longer in operation
No, but the Queen Mary 2 is.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on August 29, 2016, 09:35:20 PM
When I was a little kid, one day I woke up, looked out the window and saw this ship entering Hong Kong's harbour -

Father said it was the Queen Elizabeth II, doing a world tour.  It became a childhood dream of mine to do such a trip.  The ship is no longer in operation and I have grown somewhat disillusioned with cruises.

QE1 is still in Hong Kong.  :(