News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mother-Son Incest Case

Started by Martinus, August 12, 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

That's definitely a factor and especially for that bridging generation. I mean Bangladeshi politics is an important factor in East London politics in the Bengali areas.

I think there's cultural and economic factors too. As I say it looks like the Muslim community is following the Indian/Jewish model of integration which was integration into the middle class. So Irish immigrants and Caribbean Black Brits moved and integrated and started inter-marrying into their local, working class, community. The Jewish and Indian communities didn't, generally the kids that went to university integrated and inter-married straight into the middle class.

Signs are that the Muslim community is following a similar trajectory so they're now mainly doing well educationally - there are exceptions in the North - and inter-marriage has doubled in the past ten years (there are now 'halal' interfaith ceremonies from some imams). It's not yet near the level of the US (it's about a quarter the rate in the US) but is a pretty good signifier of integration.

I think because of cultural conservatism and the key link to the home country - arranged marriage especially in the Pakistani community - has slowed the pace.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2016, 02:28:51 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2016, 09:28:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2016, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2016, 05:35:05 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 12, 2016, 04:37:39 PM
Eh, I'm okay with the state prohibiting things that are so against the broad social morality.
like homosexuality? :)

Not anymore.
depends where.  Do you think it is socially acceptable in the Deep US South?  In Saudi Arabia?  In Nigeria?  In Russia?

So by broad social morality (which presumably we were talking about the west), you think of one are of the US and some backward countries?
Just about anywhere in the world, really.  If we outlaw things simply based on broad social morality, as it was done in the past, lots of things would still be criminalized.  I just don't think it's a good standard to decide something.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Try as I might, unless you think eugenics is a great idea, I can't think of a single good reason why law should intervene in this case.

Been over this ground every time you shill for incest.  Parents have control over their children.  The law ought to err on the side of caution to ensure parents to not sexually prey on their children.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2016, 07:58:59 PM

Try as I might, unless you think eugenics is a great idea, I can't think of a single good reason why law should intervene in this case.

Been over this ground every time you shill for incest.  Parents have control over their children.  The law ought to err on the side of caution to ensure parents to not sexually prey on their children.

Only that none of these reasons apply in this case.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2016, 06:26:57 AM

Only that none of these reasons apply in this case.

I'm not sure our government should waste time in amending laws to apply perfectly for such unicorn cases.

But that said, I also think there should be discretion used on whether or not we prosecute certain crimes. Here it seems like the only reason to prosecute is because it is nominally a crime and it is icky. I don't think any claim of greater good can apply to this case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Interestingly, the New Mexico incest law doesn't refer to control at all, only degree of blood relationship.  One can have sex with adult stepchildren that one has had control over when they were minors, so the law does not "ensure parents to not sexually prey on their children," it simply prevents icky genetic pairings. i suspect that yours is a post hoc rationalization of the law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2016, 06:33:46 AM
I'm not sure our government should waste time in amending laws to apply perfectly for such unicorn cases.

But that said, I also think there should be discretion used on whether or not we prosecute certain crimes. Here it seems like the only reason to prosecute is because it is nominally a crime and it is icky. I don't think any claim of greater good can apply to this case.

Yeah that is my thought as well. The prosecutor should have let this go. The law was not intended for cases like this and the whole reason we have human prosecutors is for judgement calls like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The law is the law. Either it makes allowance for unusual cases or it doesn't. The state applying a law that doesn't differently for different people seems fundamentally unsound. A law doesn't have to make sense or lead to a greater good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2016, 10:16:02 AM
The law is the law. Either it makes allowance for unusual cases or it doesn't. The state applying a law that doesn't differently for different people seems fundamentally unsound. A law doesn't have to make sense or lead to a greater good.

Laws are applied unevenly all the time. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2016, 10:57:19 AM

And a state that applies a law which leaves no room for uneven application unevenly is acting in an unsound manner.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2016, 07:29:24 AM
Interestingly, the New Mexico incest law doesn't refer to control at all, only degree of blood relationship.  One can have sex with adult stepchildren that one has had control over when they were minors, so the law does not "ensure parents to not sexually prey on their children," it simply prevents icky genetic pairings. i suspect that yours is a post hoc rationalization of the law.

That's New Mexico but many other states explicitly cover adoptive relationships as well.

It's not unusual for state criminal codes to have their origins in codifications of common law defined crimes or ad hoc legislative enactments over centuries, and then just to stay put by legislative inertia.  That's what happened in New Mexico - there was a compilation in the 1950s, a big codification project in the 1960s and many of the criminal statutes have been untouched since then, including that one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2016, 10:57:19 AM

Separating the sheep from the goats, as it were.

[And the Brain from either.  :P]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 01:02:01 PM
That's New Mexico but many other states explicitly cover adoptive relationships as well.

I saw that.  I just noted that the New mexico law cannot currently be justified as being one that prevents an abuse of the parent-child relationship, because it refers only to biological relationship, and exclude adoptive ones.  I fully support laws that prevent the sexual abuse of parent-child relationship (or any relationship of authority).  I don't think Mew Mexico's law, as written, does that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Prosecutorial discretion has always been a thing.  There are cases that might clearly be a crime according to the definition of the law, but it would not be worth the time, the expenditure, or the controversy to bring an indictment.  It sounds like the prosecutor should have recognized this as one of those cases.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 16, 2016, 04:08:03 PM

Prosecutorial discretion has always been a thing.  There are cases that might clearly be a crime according to the definition of the law, but it would not be worth the time, the expenditure, or the controversy to bring an indictment.  It sounds like the prosecutor should have recognized this as one of those cases.

If the lawmaker wishes exceptions to be made then the law will be designed to allow them. I think the rule of law is superior to Putin style selective application.