And we're back!

Main Menu

Mother-Son Incest Case

Started by Martinus, August 12, 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 12, 2016, 02:43:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
This is a very rare case where I don't think it is in the public interest. But generally people don't meet their parents for the first time when they are adults and end up having sex with them. I think the prosecutor should have used some better judgement here.

I don't see how this isn't in the public interest- the "public interest" issue is as much the increased risk of congenital defects weighing on the public health system as it is the authority imbalance issue.  Though I'd agree this sounds like a minimal issue in this specific case due to the mother being near/past the age where she's no longer likely to bear children- all things considered, given that the prosecutor felt it necessary to pursue the charges, I wonder what's not being reported- little charges like this seem to often dovetail with characters who, for whatever reason, refuse to play nice with the system.

Ok, Dr Mengele.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Health risk to children of incest? Anywhere near the health risks to children of making them morbidly obese?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 03:21:50 PM
Health risk to children of incest? Anywhere near the health risks to children of making them morbidly obese?

I think forcing a child to become morbidly obese is considered abusive :hmm:

Probably harder to prove though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 03:23:14 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 03:21:50 PM

I think forcing a child to become morbidly obese is considered abusive :hmm:

Probably harder to prove though.

Forcing a child? Does any country place that kind of burden on small children?

Martinus

Let's sterilize people with genetic diseases!

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 03:25:06 PM

I don't follow.

QuoteLet's sterilize people with genetic diseases!

Let's not!

mongers

Isn't there a Queen song about this situation?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 03:25:06 PM

I don't follow.

Small children are not commonly expected to make decisions on their diet or level of physical activity. A parent often doesn't have to force a kid to eat sugar and fat, just make sugar and fat available in unhealthy amounts. Small children are also not commonly expected to actively avoid a sedentary lifestyle, a parent encouraging or expecting a sedentary lifestyle can often be enough to heavily influence the child's behavior without force being necessary.

OttoVonBismarck

Eh, I'm okay with the state prohibiting things that are so against the broad social morality.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 12, 2016, 04:37:39 PM
Eh, I'm okay with the state prohibiting things that are so against the broad social morality.
like homosexuality? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2016, 05:35:05 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 12, 2016, 04:37:39 PM
like homosexuality? :)

Not anymore.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Mother-Daughter Incest is hotter.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on August 12, 2016, 06:16:42 PM
Mother-Daughter Incest is hotter.

Well neither person is attractive in this case but don't know that principles should be decided on hotness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Incest, outside of notions of royal blood (leading to the problems of the Ptolemaic system or the Hawaiian pure blood issues), seems to be an almost universal taboo.  The notion of taboo means that a society deems the act as forbidden, often associating it with all sorts of religious, karmic, or physical problems.  Still we know from animal husbandry (sorry, Brain, the OTHER kind) that selective breeding of even close stock will enhance certain desirable genetic attributes.  Also, in small scale communities the rate of inbreeding has often been quite close to incest or at least over the "frequent" line of determining incest.

Still, why is it such a universal taboo?  Total speculation here, but it would seem the small scale social aspects of child rearing needs to be independent from direct sexual activities - the two have totally different spheres of emotional and physical interaction.  Successful child rearing has been, for as long as humans have lived in groups, to be among the most basic concerns.  At times the raising of children can take precedent over the caloric needs of adults in a "feed the next generation" sort of scenario (while the reverse can also happen...)  It would seem to be that the taboo therefore helps to ensure the success of the society, rather than the needs/wants of the individual.

To casually throw out such a universal taboo would be to forgo any sort of rational look at the entire range of human society, and the importance of placing such in a historical context as well.  Culture does indeed change over time, but some elements seem to be at the present very much key to the replication of that society.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM