You, too, can work 130 hours a week if you plan when to take a shit

Started by Hamilcar, August 06, 2016, 12:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

In other words, people have a tendency to reduce these things to pay-per-hour and to me this is entirely secondary.

If you are working a soul-crushing job that you absolutely hate and that makes you feel terrible, then even working 35 hours a week for a decent pay is too much.

If you are working a job you are passionate about and which brings you satisfaction, then working 130 hours a week can be rewarding.

Now, it so happens that the latter usually pays much more (or at least makes you advance faster), but as I said, it is just a side effect, not the main motivation.

Edit: And of course, for most people, neither extreme is true and they work a job that they feel lukewarm about and that pays decent - and that's fine, provided they find their passion/satisfaction in other areas of life and they just use money generated from work to fuel such other areas. But I think such people would not want to work 130 hours a week in their job for any extended periods of time, no matter the money.

katmai

Ugh I hate agreeing with Marti.

I work at least 60 hours and usually closer to 70-80 a week. But as I love my work it really doesn't trouble me working those hours.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: katmai on August 08, 2016, 12:40:06 AM

I work at least 60 hours and usually closer to 70-80 a week. But as I love my work it really doesn't trouble me working those hours.

Yeah, when I still worked somewhat regularly in film shoots, 70 hour weeks weren't rare. I had a blast, too.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2016, 08:02:17 PM

As AR noted, the 130 hours is almost certainly an exaggeration, except in exceptional circumstances, but there are lots of people who work long hours effectively and get paid a shitload of money for it.  Tyr's claim that Marissa Mayer worked long but did not work hard
That's your claim :contract:
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2016, 02:27:42 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2016, 08:02:17 PM

As AR noted, the 130 hours is almost certainly an exaggeration, except in exceptional circumstances, but there are lots of people who work long hours effectively and get paid a shitload of money for it.  Tyr's claim that Marissa Mayer worked long but did not work hard
That's your claim :contract:

And... we enter the "Tyr Weasel Phase" of the discussion, and I'm out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 06, 2016, 09:30:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2016, 01:01:52 PM
That is amazing. My productivity would take a nosedive after 60 hours. Amazing one can not only work that much but still be useful doing it. And I guess not throw yourself out the office window at some point.

Some people truly love their work; I think that is the difference. Some people are consumed by video games and play them constantly; for some people that same dynamic is at play with work.

Even at the height of my video game addiction I would rarely ever play for more than 100 hours and even then I would do things like fall asleep at my computer. And I burned out really fast.

That is just insane. So no that is not the difference. I cannot think of anything I love that much that I would be able to physically do it for 130 hours a week. But I lack whatever super powers this woman possesses. To me it just mentally and physically would not be possible.

Quote from: Martinus on August 08, 2016, 12:05:13 AM
If you are working a job you are passionate about and which brings you satisfaction, then working 130 hours a week can be rewarding.

Working 60 or 80 hours? Sure. Working 130 hours? I mean I need to sleep and decompress and shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Having done some amateur camera work I applaud your endurance.

Actually I make about $100.00 a month typically working as camera man so I guess it is not actually amateur in a technical sense. Merely in an ability sense  :Embarrass:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2016, 07:25:44 AM
But I lack whatever super powers this woman possesses.
:secret: That superpower is called "brazen bullshitting".

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 08, 2016, 07:49:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2016, 07:25:44 AM
But I lack whatever super powers this woman possesses.
:secret: That superpower is called "brazen bullshitting".

That's not particularly nice to Brazen. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

There's a big difference between 60-80 and 120+
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I wonder when she found the time to date Larry Page?  Or was that part of work?

Josquius

That's true. I can't think of doing anything for 130 hours a week. Even leisure time. Even a super addictive game I would struggle to manage 80 tops without destroying my health.

Quote from: grumbler on August 08, 2016, 07:21:17 AM

As AR no

And... we enter the "Tyr Weasel Phase" of the discussion, and I'm out

Awesome. Here I thought you were going to go all grumblers  debate club meaning I'd have to invoke the grumbler rule.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2016, 09:09:33 AM
There's a big difference between 60-80 and 120+

And a big difference between claiming that you worked 120+ hours back in the day, and actually having done it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

There are rare but legitimate cases where someone really does work 130+ hours a week.  In many New Jersey waterfront ports, shop stewards regularly put in 168 hours work weeks.  But most of the time when people say they work 130 hour work weeks, they really mean that they had one hectic week when they were physically in the office for 100-110 hours.

derspiess

My brother works probably 80+ hour weeks during football season and I've seen the toll it takes on him.  120+ just seems kind of unlikely.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall