Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 10, 2016, 04:07:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 10, 2016, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 09, 2016, 07:47:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2016, 01:11:21 PM
How many times have you been? :unsure:

Couple times a year.

Acquitted every time?

Nolo contendere
I     said       "Acquitted             every             time"      question      mark. 

Contendere English, amigo?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Something should be said about how if you actually have to do that, then you probably aren't that good at your job.

Also, Meyer is the one who, when taking the helm at Yahoo, instituted all kinds of regressive policies about telecommuting. She's not really a good example.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 12, 2016, 04:26:10 AM
Something should be said about how if you actually have to do that, then you probably aren't that good at your job.

Also, Meyer is the one who, when taking the helm at Yahoo, instituted all kinds of regressive policies about telecommuting. She's not really a good example.
She's a good example of something.  Just not good management style.

Richard Hakluyt

I had a job in a factory back in the 80s where I did a few 84-hour weeks. Unpaid breaks and on the clock so they were genuine 12-hour working days. What with travel, eating, sleeping and personal hygiene there was not really any time to do anything else. I got very healthy and very bored and stashed a lot of cash away.

It would have been difficult to increase the hours worked in a safe and profitable way, but imo an 84-hour week is sustainable.

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 15, 2016, 02:48:12 AM
I had a job in a factory back in the 80s where I did a few 84-hour weeks. Unpaid breaks and on the clock so they were genuine 12-hour working days. What with travel, eating, sleeping and personal hygiene there was not really any time to do anything else. I got very healthy and very bored and stashed a lot of cash away.

It would have been difficult to increase the hours worked in a safe and profitable way, but imo an 84-hour week is sustainable.

But there is a difference between a white collar executive and others. I'm sure she has a driver, a cook, access to professional shoppers, tailors that come visit her office, financial managers, etc. Again: 130+ hours is almost certainly an exaggeration, but it is probably easier for someone like her to put in 100+ hours than for you to put in 84 in a factory.

Also, there is a question of what counts as "work". There is an executive where I work who I heard asked "will you be working this weekend?" His reply, "I work every weekend. I never stop working. Even in the shower I'm thinking about this place."

While he was exaggerating, knowing the guy, he probably really does work every weekend, and probably really does think about work in the shower. But should the shower "thinking time" count as work?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on August 15, 2016, 10:30:54 AM
While he was exaggerating, knowing the guy, he probably really does work every weekend, and probably really does think about work in the shower. But should the shower "thinking time" count as work?

Sounds billable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: alfred russel on August 15, 2016, 10:30:54 AM

Also, there is a question of what counts as "work". There is an executive where I work who I heard asked "will you be working this weekend?" His reply, "I work every weekend. I never stop working. Even in the shower I'm thinking about this place."

Well there is the difficulty I suppose. I'd argue that maybe 60 hours in the office and relaxing in the shower and having a bright idea there is better than spending 130 hours in the office. But I'd argue that simply because I want it to be true  :D