You, too, can work 130 hours a week if you plan when to take a shit

Started by Hamilcar, August 06, 2016, 12:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Way back when I worked summers for the city government back home, some of the guys who worked there full-time told me that they had worked hours like that a few times in winter during major snowstorms, driving snow plows to keep the streets clear.  BUT--for the most part, they were only working about half that time.  The city would send two men out as a team, and one would drive for 8-10 hours while the other slept in the cab, and then they'd switch off;  the second guy was only there if they ran into trouble.  And of course, they only did that at most 2 or 3 of times a winter;  otherwise, they mostly just worked their regular 40 hour shifts.

When I worked for Shoney's, and later when I worked at Family Dollar, I was working 80-90 hours most weeks, which is one of the main reasons I stayed less than a year at both places.  It's simply not worth it putting in those hours every week;  you don't have any life away from work.  I can see someone thinking it might be worth it if they were making a lot more money than I was making at either job, but I don't think anything past about 70-75 hours on a regular basis could be worth it for any amount of money--you wouldn't have the time or energy to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 08, 2016, 11:42:55 AM
There are rare but legitimate cases where someone really does work 130+ hours a week.  In many New Jersey waterfront ports, shop stewards regularly put in 168 hours work weeks.  But most of the time when people say they work 130 hour work weeks, they really mean that they had one hectic week when they were physically in the office for 100-110 hours.

back when I was a naval analyst we would have an ASW wargame every year for the CNO's staff, and for two weeks (12 days, really) the lead analysts would work 18+ hours a day (9 hours or so with the staff, and then 9 hours or so with our analytical teams assessing the results of the day's events and then preparing briefings for the next morning).  But that was a known crunch time and we could both prepare for it and recover after it.  There's no way we could have kept that up and been at all productive. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

18/7 weeks are not unusual when on trial.  But like grumbler's example it is something you prepare for and then can ramp down from.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 09, 2016, 11:53:02 AM
18/7 weeks are not unusual when on trial.  But like grumbler's example it is something you prepare for and then can ramp down from.

How many times have you been? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

My longest non-stop work marathon was actually 32 hours with no sleep. We had to sign the deal by the end of the month for tax reasons and the final negotiations push was brutal.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2016, 09:09:33 AM
Quote from: katmai on August 08, 2016, 12:40:06 AM
Ugh I hate agreeing with Marti.

I work at least 60 hours and usually closer to 70-80 a week. But as I love my work it really doesn't trouble me working those hours.

There's a big difference between 60-80 and 120+
indeed there is. :P

Most ever did for few weeks straight was just under 100 hours (union gigs mean there has to be at least 10 hours between turnaround from end of one work day to start of another,)otherwise would have put in 100+ hour weeks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2016, 07:28:00 AM

Having done some amateur camera work I applaud your endurance.

Actually I make about $100.00 a month typically working as camera man so I guess it is not actually amateur in a technical sense. Merely in an ability sense  :Embarrass:
well my day rate makes it tolerable putting in long hours, I mean it isn't lawyer $$ for hours, but its okay.

CountDeMoney

katmai

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Valmy

The joke was that lawyers are crooked and he himself was being put on trial  :P

But yes I believe you are right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson