You, too, can work 130 hours a week if you plan when to take a shit

Started by Hamilcar, August 06, 2016, 12:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

http://gizmodo.com/marissa-mayer-you-too-can-work-130-hours-a-week-if-y-1784822446?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

QuoteMarissa Mayer: You, Too, Can Work 130 Hours a Week If You Plan When to Take a Shit

Sophie Kleeman

According to Marissa Mayer, who was Google's 20th employee and its first female engineer, the key to success at the search giant was hard work. Specifically, the kind of hard work that required strategically planned trips to the john.

Speaking to Bloomberg Businessweek for its 2016 interview issue, the Yahoo CEO shared her thoughts on the "Google story."

QuoteThe other piece that gets overlooked in the Google story is the value of hard work. When reporters write about Google, they write about it as if it was inevitable. The actual experience was more like, "Could you work 130 hours in a week?" The answer is yes, if you're strategic about when you sleep, when you shower, and how often you go to the bathroom. The nap rooms at Google were there because it was safer to stay in the office than walk to your car at 3 a.m. For my first five years, I did at least one all-nighter a week, except when I was on vacation—and the vacations were few and far between.

Beautifully, interviewer Max Chafkin responded with, "Wow." Do you think Google employees ended up synching their bathroom breaks with each other, like women and menstrual cycles?

Besides detailing the level of commitment needed to make it work at Google, Mayer also discussed her future at Yahoo ("I plan to stay. I love the company, and I want to see it go into its next chapter"), the challenges of balancing work life with home life (she recently gave birth to twins), and the surprises that emerged after she took over at Yahoo ("I didn't know how much time I would spend studying things like tax law and forming an opinion on Chinese e-commerce").

I'm still stuck on the bathroom comment, though. If any Google employees are reading this, please, get in touch. I am very interested to learn more about your strategy.

Valmy

That is amazing. My productivity would take a nosedive after 60 hours. Amazing one can not only work that much but still be useful doing it. And I guess not throw yourself out the office window at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Working 130 hours a week by itself isn't going to make you successful.  But working 130 hours a week, being in the right place at the right time, and getting under the right person enough times, that can make you golden.

Hamilcar

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2016, 01:04:04 PM
Working 130 hours a week by itself isn't going to make you successful.  But working 130 hours a week, being in the right place at the right time, and getting under the right person enough times, that can make you golden.

This. It's physiologically impossible to be productive for such hours, but there *is* value in *pretending* to put in this much work.

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2016, 01:11:57 PM
Americans :bleeding: :weep:

It is a stupid tendency that often see in the US.  I know computer programs often work ungodly hours during "crunch time".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2016, 03:22:08 PM

It is a stupid tendency that often see in the US.  I know computer programs often work ungodly hours during "crunch time".

We need to start a movement to grant rights to computer programs!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2016, 01:01:52 PM
That is amazing. My productivity would take a nosedive after 60 hours. Amazing one can not only work that much but still be useful doing it. And I guess not throw yourself out the office window at some point.

good chance she used stimulants

Martinus

As long as it made her happy...

My original comment was not made to be sarcastic. I would most likely not share her enthusiasm for this kind of arrangement, but it is possible her enthusiasm was genuine and she took satisfaction from it. What other purpose is there to life than that?

CountDeMoney

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2016, 01:01:52 PM

Some people truly love their work; I think that is the difference. Some people are consumed by video games and play them constantly; for some people that same dynamic is at play with work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2016, 01:04:04 PM

I'm guessing she was exaggerating 130 hours just because there are physical limitations at work. But a really smart person who is so consumed with work she puts in massive amounts of hours is going to be really tough to stop. That doesn't mean she will end up running a major corporation and worth hundreds of millions, but she won't be washing dishes either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014