And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2021, 01:05:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2021, 12:57:45 PM
Let's not call them sex workers until we actually find out they are sex workers.  I'd like more than the word of a former roommate of a lunatic in this sort of matter.

The murderer's explanation to police for why he committed the murders is also consistent.  Part of the reason terrible abuses occur in the sex trade industry is that people are reluctant to call it what is.  Combine that reluctance with the assholes that get their jollies going there, and you get a pretty violent outcome.

Consistent with what?  What he told his roommate?  Terrible abuses exist in the sex trade industry because it is illegal.  If the people working at these businesses aren't sex workers I suspect they would not want to identified as such.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2021, 03:20:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2021, 01:05:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2021, 12:57:45 PM
Let's not call them sex workers until we actually find out they are sex workers.  I'd like more than the word of a former roommate of a lunatic in this sort of matter.

The murderer's explanation to police for why he committed the murders is also consistent.  Part of the reason terrible abuses occur in the sex trade industry is that people are reluctant to call it what is.  Combine that reluctance with the assholes that get their jollies going there, and you get a pretty violent outcome.

Consistent with what?  What he told his roommate?  Terrible abuses exist in the sex trade industry because it is illegal.  If the people working at these businesses aren't sex workers I suspect they would not want to identified as such.

Consistent with the explanation he gave to police for why he committed the murders - to remove temptation - including his.

Whether or not the victims were sex trade workers, consider again what the message parlor worker advocate said:

Quotenot all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers.

"I don't think there's enough discussion of the violence that comes from the buyers," she said.

Razgovory

His statement to police is consistent with his statement to the police?

Quotenot all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers.

"I don't think there's enough discussion of the violence that comes from the buyers," she said.

:mellow:  You left out part of that sentence.

One of the women killed was a customer at the place.  She came with her husband.  Men do not typically bring their wives to brothels.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18/us/atlanta-shootings-massage-spa

QuoteMario González and his wife Delaina Yaun ventured to Youngs Asian Massage near Acworth, Georgia, last week for a relaxing couples activity.

Yaun had just gotten off from work, and the two were happy about getting to unwind with a massage. As they received treatments in separate rooms, González heard the gunfire ring out.
"About an hour in, almost at the end, I heard the shots," he told the Spanish-language newspaper Mundo Hispánico."I didn't see anything. Only, I started to think it was in the room where my wife was."

The police later arrested the husband because this is Georgia and he was Mexican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

:huh:  The only part I left out was the description of the person who made the statement - which I identified in my post.

This is not a brothel. Please read what I posted more carefully, not all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2021, 12:32:10 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2021, 08:04:53 AM
The mayor of Atlanta has stated that none of these establishments were under scrutiny by the police for illegal activities.

While that is true, the reporting is also that the murderer had gone to two of the locations he attacked in the past.  And his former room mate said the murderer went to message parlors for sex.

The exploitation and trafficking of women who work in these places - and the men who abuse them is, I think an important part of the story.

As one of the advocates for those women pointed out:

QuoteYvonne Chen, an advocate for sex trafficking victims who works with Asian women who work at massage businesses, said not all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18/us/atlanta-shootings-massage-spa

A younger cousin of mine dreamed of making a career as a massage therapist.  Until she started working.  Then she quit after a few weeks and changed her career path for specialized education.  "Unclean" (I could say filthy, from what she described...) clients and those who constantly asked her for "extras" (this was a legitimate business, not one of those that should not exist but is almost never visited by cops (the on-duty ones at least) and she often needed her boss to intervene.  It's sad.  :(

But the same happens to male therapists with the gay crowd.  Not that it makes it ok either.  I wish it was legal and well advertised as such so others who do not participate would be left in peace.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I agree, legalization and regulation would be the way to go. 

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2021, 05:06:12 PM
:huh:  The only part I left out was the description of the person who made the statement - which I identified in my post.

This is not a brothel. Please read what I posted more carefully, not all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers

QuoteYvonne Chen, an advocate for sex trafficking victims who works with Asian women who work at massage businesses, said not all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers.

What you left out is that she was talking about trafficked women at massage parlors in general, NOT this specific place.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2021, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2021, 05:06:12 PM

What you left out is that she was talking about trafficked women at massage parlors in general, NOT this specific place.

I didn't suggest she was.  She was talking about the message parlor industry as a whole, and the fact that men come looking for sex there, even if it is a legitimate business.

We even had one Languish contributor make a stupid joke about someone not getting a happy ending, and that these message parlors looked like a place one goes for sex.

Admiral Yi

Shooting in Boulder CO.  Many dead.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2021, 09:23:21 PM
Shooting in Boulder CO.  Many dead.
Lauren Boebert offered thoughts & prayers to everyone, so all is good.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 22, 2021, 09:44:11 PM

That's a step up from calling it a false flag operation.

HisMajestyBOB

Suspect is in custody, so presumed white male.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

I guess someone else had a bad day too.
Or maybe he was just trying to save us all from his junk food addition.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGLPeTnnvwc

I wonder how his clothes came off.  Maybe cops said strip so we can see you have nothing under the clothes.

Outside chance he's Iranian.  He's got that bald pattern.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2021, 09:46:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 22, 2021, 09:44:11 PM

That's a step up from calling it a false flag operation.
Wasn't this the other crazy lunatic from the GOP?