News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2021, 03:27:54 PM
As I understood it, he was trying to save other men from the temptation of sex workers. However, these were not sex workers.

Yet another example of men blaming women for their inability to keep it in their pants. Bet he was a Christian fundy.

He is.  This does look like a case of misogynism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

This question has come up in conversation elsewhere - has it been established whether the massage parlors in Atlanta were places that provided sexual services or whether they were just straight up massage establishments?

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 05:47:14 PM
This question has come up in conversation elsewhere - has it been established whether the massage parlors in Atlanta were places that provided sexual services or whether they were just straight up massage establishments?

I don't think it matters. Many people will assume they were and many more will blame this act on sex workers and use this to further victimize them.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on March 19, 2021, 06:09:38 PM
I don't think it matters. Many people will assume they were and many more will blame this act on sex workers and use this to further victimize them.

I think it does, if for no other reason than the victims deserve to be recognized as individuals and not just subsumed into a larger debate about issues for people to project whatever they want onto.

To me it seems problematic as hell to refuse to acknowledge whether they were sex workers for fear that their deaths would be devalued if they were... but maybe you're right and it's the least bad option available. But that choice is obviously predicated on concluding that the lives of sex workers are worth less, so best not touch it, and that's pretty fucked up IMO.

Admiral Yi

"Young's Asian Massage" and "Gold Massage Spa" sound very much like rub and tugs to me.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 06:45:11 PM
But that choice is obviously predicated on concluding that the lives of sex workers are worth less
I would say it's predicated on the narrative being that the lives of sex workers are worth less.
Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 06:45:11 PM
and that's pretty fucked up IMO.
no argument there.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on March 19, 2021, 07:01:26 PM
I would say it's predicated on the narrative being that the lives of sex workers are worth less.

Fair.

Razgovory

I thought you knew!  You were the one to bring it up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2021, 03:27:54 PM
As I understood it, he was trying to save other men from the temptation of sex workers. However, these were not sex workers.

Yet another example of men blaming women for their inability to keep it in their pants. Bet he was a Christian fundy.

Ding ding. Purity culture strikes again.

Fucking horrible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2021, 09:53:05 PM

I thought you knew!  You were the one to bring it up.

Yup, that was the impression I'd gathered from the reporting I'd seen and a bunch of the reactions I'd seen in various places. Then I took a moment to reflect and realized I haven't seen it stated one way or the other.

merithyn

The mayor of Atlanta has stated that none of these establishments were under scrutiny by the police for illegal activities.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2021, 08:04:53 AM
The mayor of Atlanta has stated that none of these establishments were under scrutiny by the police for illegal activities.

While that is true, the reporting is also that the murderer had gone to two of the locations he attacked in the past.  And his former room mate said the murderer went to message parlors for sex.

The exploitation and trafficking of women who work in these places - and the men who abuse them is, I think an important part of the story.

As one of the advocates for those women pointed out:

QuoteYvonne Chen, an advocate for sex trafficking victims who works with Asian women who work at massage businesses, said not all of them are willing to provide sex to their clients, but those who refuse are often attacked by their customers.

"I don't think there's enough discussion of the violence that comes from the buyers," she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/18/us/atlanta-shootings-massage-spa

Razgovory

Let's not call them sex workers until we actually find out they are sex workers.  I'd like more than the word of a former roommate of a lunatic in this sort of matter.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2021, 12:57:45 PM
Let's not call them sex workers until we actually find out they are sex workers.  I'd like more than the word of a former roommate of a lunatic in this sort of matter.

The murderer's explanation to police for why he committed the murders is also consistent.  Part of the reason terrible abuses occur in the sex trade industry is that people are reluctant to call it what is.  Combine that reluctance with the assholes that get their jollies going there, and you get a pretty violent outcome.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2021, 08:04:53 AM

It's not unusual for certain jurisdictions to not enforce prostitution laws on locations that are otherwise co-operative and stay out of trouble.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.