And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Someone didn't get a happy ending.

Razgovory

The suspect claims it wasn't about race, but rather that he has a sex addiction.  I don't know what to say about that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

I guess if he was addicted to sex, had a preference for Korean sex workers, and acted out of sexual frustration then it'd be a terrorist act driven by misogyny, but with racial elements.

As opposed to if he hated Asians and decided to take it out on sex workers, in which case it'd be a terrorist act driven by racism, but with misogynist elements.

I don't know, does that type of distinction make a difference in a legal context? Because it doesn't make him any less shitty IMO.

Sheilbh

Agreed. I'm not sure it makes a huge amount of difference whether he seems to have been mainly a racist or mainly a misogynist. Perhaps it makes a difference under US hate crime laws? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Not all hate crimes are terrorism.  Not all terrorist acts are hate crimes.  Conflating the two adds nothing to our understanding and just confuses the issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Statement by police official:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1372203730481864713

"He was pretty much fed up, and kinda at the end of his rope, and yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2021, 11:39:45 AM
I guess if he was addicted to sex, had a preference for Korean sex workers, and acted out of sexual frustration then it'd be a terrorist act driven by misogyny, but with racial elements.

As opposed to if he hated Asians and decided to take it out on sex workers, in which case it'd be a terrorist act driven by racism, but with misogynist elements.

I don't know, does that type of distinction make a difference in a legal context? Because it doesn't make him any less shitty IMO.

Or those were the only sex workers he knew about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2021, 12:52:19 PM

"He was pretty much fed up, and kinda at the end of his rope, and yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did."

Just had a bad day, murdered a few people, you know how it is. Could've happened to anyone, really.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Habbaku

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 17, 2021, 01:14:16 PM

Just had a bad day, murdered a few people, you know how it is. Could've happened to anyone, really.

Watching the clip, it makes it seem to me more like the police are trying to establish that, no, he wasn't insane and he understood what he was doing so that he can't use that as a defense?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2021, 01:18:53 PM

Watching the clip, it makes it seem to me more like the police are trying to establish that, no, he wasn't insane and he understood what he was doing so that he can't use that as a defense?

Gotcha, I didn't see the clip yet.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

My mom always has MSNBC on and so I catch snippets from that occasionally, and frankly it's weird right now.  When this recent attack on the message parlor gals occurred I certainly thought it was possible that it could be another deranged Trump supporter inspired by Trump's rhetoric.  MSNBC openly speculated about that scenario, but when the evidence came out that this wasn't the case they kept talking like it was.  Maybe they have information they haven't revealed yet, and it is possible that new information will come out to change the narrative, but right now we don't have evidence that this is some sort of political act.

Eddie Teach

I don't like Mondays.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2021, 10:29:09 PM
My mom always has MSNBC on and so I catch snippets from that occasionally, and frankly it's weird right now.  When this recent attack on the message parlor gals occurred I certainly thought it was possible that it could be another deranged Trump supporter inspired by Trump's rhetoric.  MSNBC openly speculated about that scenario, but when the evidence came out that this wasn't the case they kept talking like it was.  Maybe they have information they haven't revealed yet, and it is possible that new information will come out to change the narrative, but right now we don't have evidence that this is some sort of political act.
I think the coverage of this case is a classic example of how cancel culture makes everyone concerned about saying things carefully rather than objectively.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2021, 11:39:45 AM

He might be trying to plead some form of insanity defense.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

As I understood it, he was trying to save other men from the temptation of sex workers. However, these were not sex workers.

Yet another example of men blaming women for their inability to keep it in their pants. Bet he was a Christian fundy.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...