Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2018, 03:29:34 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2018, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 23, 2018, 02:27:04 PM
Are you sure that wasn't Rob Ford driving on crack?

That would be pretty scary, considering he's been dead for some time now ...

Given the area I thought Asian driver at first... than felt bad when I heard about the death toll

The perp was allegedly screaming he had a gun and waving something around - apparently his cell phone. Cops weren't fooled.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2018, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 23, 2018, 02:27:04 PM
Are you sure that wasn't Rob Ford driving on crack?

That would be pretty scary, considering he's been dead for some time now ...

Have you seen the body?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

9 dead, 16 injured :(

Aside Malthus and HVC, we have Josephus in the area, but wasn't there someone else still there? 

And you guys are not too shaken?  I know it's a big city and there's no comparison I can make, but still, if it'd happenned here, I'd be shocked.

I'm guessing Josephus is busy reporting on this and won't come here until a few days.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2018, 04:19:32 PM
9 dead, 16 injured :(

Aside Malthus and HVC, we have Josephus in the area, but wasn't there someone else still there? 

And you guys are not too shaken?  I know it's a big city and there's no comparison I can make, but still, if it'd happenned here, I'd be shocked.

I'm guessing Josephus is busy reporting on this and won't come here until a few days.

Not particularly shaken. Sad for the folks killed and injured, of course, and their families and friends. Happy that the cops acted with conspicuous professionalism.

Then again, I work right downtown, in First Canadian Place; if terrorists ever strike hard, my building would be a good target ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Too big a city to be shaken directly. Still sad for the people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

I was more effected by the bomb scare of Easter since that happened a few blocks away from me and somewhere I'm often at. Plus it really inconvenienced me lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2018, 04:46:05 PM
Too big a city to be shaken directly. Still sad for the people.
good.  it appears to be a lone wolf rather than a concerted attack of some kind.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Drivers name was Alek Minassian. Not sure what ethnicity the name is, but he looks slavic to me

Forgot the link. And he was a incel dude. So not terrorism, misogyny.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

He's got that unfortunate Iranian pattern pubic hair on his head.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Solmyr

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2018, 08:40:36 PM
Drivers name was Alek Minassian. Not sure what ethnicity the name is, but he looks slavic to me

Forgot the link. And he was a incel dude. So not terrorism, misogyny.

Surname is Armenian. And why couldn't misogyny lead to terrorism?

celedhring

Italian police have intercepted a Bosnian driver trying to smuggle a small arsenal (2 pistols, 6 AK-47s, 2 SMGs, ammo) into Barcelona. Anti-terrorism alert has been activated. Wonder if we just avoided a tragedy.

Malthus