And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2017, 09:29:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2017, 08:57:56 AM
Giving more money to those monitoring and enforcing this policy is pretty uncontroversial

Is it? :huh:

:secret:  This is Tyr you are responding to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on November 01, 2017, 09:00:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2017, 01:34:38 AM
So I assume the same people who insisted that stricter gun control would not stop attacks like Las Vegas, will insist that stricter immigration controls will not stop attacks like this?

Too soon, can't talk about dealing with the issue right after the incident.

Wolfe was right: "You can't go Home Depot again."

Luckily their stock recovered from yesterday.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2017, 09:29:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2017, 08:57:56 AM
Giving more money to those monitoring and enforcing this policy is pretty uncontroversial

Is it? :huh:

It is?
Surprising if so. I'm sure I recall John oliver doing a bit on their trouble staffing.
In the UK that the border force is under funded is a pretty uncontroversial point.
Certainly it doesn't fall into a sort of smug left vs right, gun control vs ban Muslims, territory
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Well that's not how it works in the US. It is most definitely a bone of contention between the left and right with the Republicans always on about increasing border security and extreme vetting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2017, 09:34:19 AM
Quote from: frunk on November 01, 2017, 09:00:15 AM
So I assume the same people who insisted that stricter gun control would not stop attacks like Las Vegas, will insist that stricter immigration controls will not stop attacks like this?

Too soon, can't talk about dealing with the issue right after the incident.

Wolfe was right: "You can't go Home Depot again."

Luckily their stock recovered from yesterday.

Okay, that was good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

I remain in favor of keeping our 2nd Amendment rights, and of allowing more immigrants into the country legally, if that's what you mean.

Valmy

I wish an industry was backing our other amendment rights.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2017, 09:00:03 PM

The press is an industry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2017, 10:20:06 AM
Well that's not how it works in the US. It is most definitely a bone of contention between the left and right with the Republicans always on about increasing border security and extreme vetting.

I didn't say push the laws rightwards. I just said fund them better to enforce the existing laws more competently
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2017, 05:12:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2017, 10:20:06 AM

I didn't say push the laws rightwards. I just said fund them better to enforce the existing laws more competently

Which those things are connected, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Being able to read them out loud would be a start.

https://youtu.be/vXHKAJjHFwg

It sounds nice, it's not nice. It's not good, it's not good, it hasn't been good.

Admiral Yi

Which laws are you referring to?  The ones that prohibit people who might commit terrorist acts from entering the country? :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 02, 2017, 01:37:54 AM

True and they have done a pretty decent job with that one. Anybody making money off of the fourth amendment?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2017, 03:49:21 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 02, 2017, 01:37:54 AM

True and they have done a pretty decent job with that one. Anybody making money off of the fourth amendment?

Lawyers.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk