News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Haven't you all known reach other for  like 20 years? Why are you still surprised when the terrible people continue to say terrible things?

celedhring

1 attacker arrested, 2 remain at large.

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on August 17, 2017, 01:05:45 PM
Haven't you all known reach other for  like 20 years? Why are you still surprised when the terrible people continue to say terrible things?

I don't think anyone's particularly surprised. It's more like the bickering of an old couple that doesn't even like each other that much but are too used to be together to break up.

The languish way: habitual and mutually annoying.

celedhring

Unofficial sources claim there's been a firefight and another of the attackers has been shot down.

It's from the regional telly and they are usually pretty reliable with this kind of stuff (not so much in others...)

Official toll is 13 death and 50+ wounded, some of them very serious.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on August 17, 2017, 01:12:22 PM

I don't think anyone's particularly surprised. It's more like the bickering of an old couple that doesn't even like each other that much but are too used to be together to break up.

It's why I abstain from most political debate here (beyond sharing news stories). Everyone's so entrenched that they're not going to change their minds at this point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2017, 01:33:35 PM

It's why I abstain from most political debate here (beyond sharing news stories). Everyone's so entrenched that they're not going to change their minds at this point.

I don't know. I moved for voting for Republican presidents to planning to never vote Republican again (bar some crazy shift in the party).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2017, 01:30:37 PM
Unofficial sources claim there's been a firefight and another of the attackers has been shot down.

It's from the regional telly and they are usually pretty reliable with this kind of stuff (not so much in others...)

Any more info about the perpetrators? I read on la Repubblica one of them is a Moroccan young man born in Marseille, Driss Ukabir.

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2017/08/17/news/driss_oukabir_sospetto_attentatore_barcellona_rambla-173255235/

celedhring

He just seems to be an accessory, since he was arrested in the north of the country.

Spanish police isn't divulging much information regarding the investigation (understandably), so it's all really fuzzy atm.

Valmy

Actually my opinions have been pretty well shaped by this place :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2017, 02:19:45 PM

Actually my opinions have been pretty well shaped by this place :hmm:

yw
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pedrito

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2017, 01:30:37 PM

I just booked in Barcelona for some Holiday at the start of september   :(

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Valmy

I presume ISIS has already claimed responsibility?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Yep.

Quote54m ago
21:44 CET
Islamic State claims responsibility

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack, the group's Amaq propaganda news agency said.

"The perpetrators of the Barcelona attack are soldiers of the Islamic State and carried out the operation in response to calls for targeting coalition states," the agency said, referring to a United States-led coalition against the Sunni militant group.

Isis claims of responsibility are unreliable, and do not necessarily indicate a direct connection between the attacker or attackers and the terror group.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/aug/17/barcelona-attack-van-driven-into-crowd-in-las-ramblas-district

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2017, 11:59:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2017, 11:49:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2017, 11:46:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2017, 11:43:32 AM
Well at least you will have the Eifel tower in Spanish colours tonight! That will be sufficient replacement to any action to address this larger issue.

You are being terrible again.

I know.

But, we stand together, and the terrorists will not break the spirit of Barcelona!

Hard on muslims, soft on nazis. :hmm:

Uhm, actually during the SCW, Barcelona was the main stronghold of the Loyalists;  I don't see why you'd say they're soft on Nazis.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on August 17, 2017, 05:04:38 PM
Uhm, actually during the SCW, Barcelona was the main stronghold of the Loyalists;  I don't see why you'd say they're soft on Nazis.

I'm pretty sure garbon was talking about Tamas, not Barcelona.