News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I've been to Coeur d'Alene, and I've seen the park where the Pride event was held; the downtown shopping district feeds right into it on one side, with the lake on the other.

Rolling up in a U-Heil, bailing out and rioting in the middle of it all, it would've been a hell of a mess.

Sheilbh

Slightly surprised how little coverage it's received in the UK but a violent Islamist attacked a gay bar in Oslo on Friday night, killing 2 and injuring twenty. The authorities then cancelled pride for security reasons - which seems an overreaction and very regrettable but obviously there may have been more threats they were aware of.

However, in the very truest spirit of "pride should be a protest" there was a spontaneous march to the bar yesterday, when the official parade should have happened:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Good news I guess. Media attention and increasing islamophoba is why they do it
There seems to be a trend of the media learning.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

It was top news on BBC yesterday(?)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2022, 12:12:47 PMIt was top news on BBC yesterday(?)
Oh that's good to hear - I was judging, apparently unfairly, from the Guardian, where I don't think it was the top story (though on the front page).

QuoteGood news I guess. Media attention and increasing islamophoba is why they do it
I'm not sure increasing Islamophhobia is necessarily why violent Islamists attack (though it's a factor in how people get radicalised for sure).

It's like with a non-political mass shooting, there is a balance in reporting what is very clearly important news and in effect doing it in a way that might inspire copycats - especially because with mass shootings I believer there's really clear evidence that copycat attacks happen. But I feel like a terrorist attack on a gay venue in pride month that leads to pride being cancelled in a European capital city is quite a big story.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2022, 12:22:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2022, 12:12:47 PMIt was top news on BBC yesterday(?)
Oh that's good to hear - I was judging, apparently unfairly, from the Guardian, where I don't think it was the top story (though on the front page).

QuoteGood news I guess. Media attention and increasing islamophoba is why they do it
I'm not sure increasing Islamophhobia is necessarily why violent Islamists attack (though it's a factor in how people get radicalised for sure).

It's like with a non-political mass shooting, there is a balance in reporting what is very clearly important news and in effect doing it in a way that might inspire copycats - especially because with mass shootings I believer there's really clear evidence that copycat attacks happen. But I feel like a terrorist attack on a gay venue in pride month that leads to pride being cancelled in a European capital city is quite a big story.

Why individual nutters do it is broader.
But its published record by the groups themselves that the reason for terrorism is to try and whip up anti Muslims views in the west and in turn push moderate Muslims to their side and get the glorious apocalyptic clash of civilizations they want.

True, have to balance something actually being newsworthy too. Its a conundrum.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2022, 11:30:32 AMHowever, in the very truest spirit of "pride should be a protest"

:bleeding:

Sheilbh

Trite and sentimental - but if you can't have those feelings after a bit of defiance in the face of attack, when can you? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

If it only works after an attack, what good is the slogan?

Jacob

Several people shot and killed and more wounded in a shopping centre in Copenhagen. The killer is a 22 year old ethnic Dane according to the police.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Oexmelin

Six dead (for now), more injured, in Highland Park shooting in Chicago. Shooter sniped at the 4th of July parade.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/4/23194354/highland-park-fourth-july-parade-gunfire
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Highland Park has a big Jewish population.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!