News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

QuoteAuthor Salman Rushdie, who suffered years of death threats after writing The Satanic Verses, has been attacked on stage in New York state.
The Booker Prize winner was speaking at an event at the Chautauqua Institution at the time.
Witnesses say they saw a man run on stage and either punch or stab Mr Rushdie as he was being introduced.

A video posted online shows attendees rushing onto the stage immediately following the incident.
The attacker is said to have been restrained by those on the scene.

Police confirmed a stabbing but declined to immediately identify the victim, AFP news agency reports.
Mr Rushdie's condition is not currently known.

The Indian-born novelist catapulted to fame with Midnight's Children in 1981, which went on to sell over one million copies in the UK alone.

But Mr Rushdie's fourth book, in 1988 - The Satanic Verses - forced him into hiding for nine years.
The surrealist, post-modern novel sparked outrage among some Muslims, who considered its content to be blasphemous, and was banned in some countries.
A year after the book's publication, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khomeini called for Mr Rushdie's execution and offered a $3m (£2.5m) reward.
Dozens of people died in the violence that followed its publication, including murdered translators of the work.
The bounty over Mr Rushdie's head remains active, although Iran's government has distanced itself from Khomeini's decree.
The author, who has British and American citizenship, is a vocal advocate for freedom of expression and has defended his work on several occasions.
His appearance at the Chautauqua Institution event, in western New York, was the first in a seven-part lecture series hosted by the non-profit.
A spokesman for the organisation's on-site police department declined to comment when contacted by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62524922

grumbler

Wow!

The reports I am seeing do not look good at all:  multiple stab wounds to the chest and abdomen.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Seems crazy that he wouldn't have better security at such events.  The description of the attack make it sound like there was no security there at all.

Valmy

That is some crazy commitment to hatred. I guess congratulations are in order to the theocracy of Iran and its supreme leader.

It seems unlikely Rushdie will survive based on what grumbler said but here is hoping.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on August 12, 2022, 11:30:36 AMWow!

The reports I am seeing do not look good at all:  multiple stab wounds to the chest and abdomen.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.  :(

News are indeed not good at all, I see now reports of a neck stab wound

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/12/salman-rushdie-attacked-during-panel-in-western-new-york-report-says.html

QuoteSalman Rushdie stabbed in neck in NY attack, 'Satanic Verses' scribe airlifted to hospital

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2022, 12:15:36 PMThat is some crazy commitment to hatred. I guess congratulations are in order to the theocracy of Iran and its supreme leader.

It seems unlikely Rushdie will survive based on what grumbler said but here is hoping.

Didn't Iran backtrack on this?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josquius on August 12, 2022, 12:41:54 PMDidn't Iran backtrack on this?

No, they tacked on more to the bounty in 2016 to something like $3m total.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I'm not Dexter, but the pictures of the blood spatter seem like a bad sign, it seems to indicate that some blood vessels were severed.  Hopefully early and effective intervention was possible in that case, people have survived gruesome throat slashes before.

Maladict

Malthus

A legal Question: I read that the attacker of Rushdie was charged with attempted second-degree murder. Yet I also read that the authorities are stating that the attack was pre-planned.

I know nothing of the criminal law of New York - but why, if the attack was pre-planned, would he not be charged with attempted first-degree murder?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 14, 2022, 01:37:46 PMA legal Question: I read that the attacker of Rushdie was charged with attempted second-degree murder. Yet I also read that the authorities are stating that the attack was pre-planned.

I know nothing of the criminal law of New York - but why, if the attack was pre-planned, would he not be charged with attempted first-degree murder?
I guess at this point, they do not have the formal evidence to charge him with that, but that might come in later.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on August 13, 2022, 10:51:05 PMLooks like he'll survive.

Amazing if true. Science can overcome religion once more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Outrageous.

While it's great news that he's survived seeing that is likely to lose an eye and needs serious help is really awfuly.
Let's bomb Russia!