News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been offered a bribe?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 28, 2023, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on December 30, 2023, 02:27:26 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 29, 2023, 12:01:11 AMMY LSE prof tried to bribe me (money, not grades) to buy him a couple of bottles of The Famous Grouse at the Navy Exchange in London.  I turned him down, but bought a bottle and gave it to him when the course was over.

Don't understand. Why couldn't he pop down to his local corner shop to buy it?

The discussion never got that far.  I pretended I hadn't heard him say that he knew it was against the rules, so told him it was against the rules, and that was that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

I was offered money (no in those terms) to be the... depository of illegal cigarettes, since we have lots of space.  One of the shortest conversation I've ever had.

Professionally, a big local company tried a few times to get my dad involved in their schemes to plant a bidder for public contracts, but he told me he simply refused to bid on this contract instead.  They later changed management and they never tried it with me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Very early in my public service career I was offered to be taken out to lunch by a few companies I regulate. I refused since, you know, conflict of interest. Obviously lunch is pretty weak but who knows? Maybe they might have offered me more if I had taken the free lunches.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2024, 08:19:33 PMVery early in my public service career I was offered to be taken out to lunch by a few companies I regulate. I refused since, you know, conflict of interest. Obviously lunch is pretty weak but who knows? Maybe they might have offered me more if I had taken the free lunches.
Yeah, it's a slippery slope.  The next thing you know, they buy you a condo in the city and supply it with the most expensive whisky and wines.

Wait...

:P

No, seriously, in Montreal, this is all the construction corruption began for the city bureaucrats.  A few small gifts here and there, a few lunches, then it became more expensive, then it was boat trips - figuratively speaking for the 'boat' - ; obviously, the guys knew what they were accepting and why though they pretended to play innocent at the inquiry.

I often accepted lunch from suppliers, it's part of normal business operations, we sometimes bring clients to lunch too. But it doesn't mean I'm gonna pick one over the other because of the cheap meal.

I miss the Christmas gifts though...  I kept the wine bottles and gave the Dekuyper gin to dad, fair exchange :lol:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Oh, does being paid to install Kaspersky count?  I still feel remorse about it.  Fracking pos software.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 06, 2024, 11:23:19 AMI often accepted lunch from suppliers, it's part of normal business operations, we sometimes bring clients to lunch too. But it doesn't mean I'm gonna pick one over the other because of the cheap meal.

Well when I worked for Dell I was given shit from vendors all the damn time but it was just a normal thing in that sector.

But as a bureaucrat it's different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Years ago we used to hand-delivered chocolates to the court registry staff as a Christmas gift to thank them for all of their hard work during the year.

Most lawyers, who did a lot of court work, did the same thing.

That came to an end when it was viewed as a conflict of interest for court staff to receive such gifts.

Caliga

When I was an undergrad a girl offered to blow me if I would translate some passages from a book from Latin to English for some art history project she was working on.  Does that count as a bribe?  I think that might have been her way of trying to go out with me, so I'm not sure.  I already had a girlfriend so I politely declined.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

See, that's why I studied Latin in school.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.