News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 15, 2016, 06:55:43 PMThe '97 "coup" was remarkably bloodless.  They might have been banking on the same thing for this one.

maybe, but mass media has come a long way since then. it's so much easier to get a crowd going these days.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: LaCroix on July 15, 2016, 06:52:20 PM
@MI

yeah, over a live stream, I saw a crowd stomp a soldier then shoot him in the head. the people rallied pretty well/quickly.

Nasty shit. But the AKP has a core of well organized and pretty fanatic supporters that were used in attacks on critical newspapers in the past (like Hürriyet in 2015). A colleague of mine with Turkish roots translated some of their chants back then. Stuff like "We'll die for Erdogan, we'll kill for Erdogan."

mongers

Al Jazerra showing live shots of Taksim square, only a few dozen, maybe 200 hundred people, otherwise largely deserted; lots of people standing on the sideline waiting to see what way the wind blows?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2016, 05:46:18 PM
Just heard on Euronews that Erdogan blames also Gülen for the coup.

Well that is just awesome. He has been bizarrely coming after my friends in Texas any way he can recently. This should only increase his paranoia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Obama backs the Islamist. Hmm...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

More aerial bombing in Ankara, two more large explosions reported.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2016, 07:31:24 PM

:tinfoil:
At last, proof that Obama is muslim!  :lol:

Ed Anger

I guess we'll wait until 2020 then.....

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Hm, a Turkish reporter has said coup forces have shut down his newspaper, and it appears that the same forces shut down CNN Turk just a minute ago. It's odd that if the coup is reeling they'd be wasting resources on media outlets. Makes me wonder if we're in a weird place where the coup is too weak to succeed but too strong to just disappear. Even if it's just five of six hundred soldiers totally shutting them down could take a lot of killing and a lot of dead people all around.

OttoVonBismarck

While I don't like coups, and don't like Islamists (I'd be cool if all of them died in a horrifying way), I have to give props to the AKP supporters, they have balls of steel. Pictures of dudes laying down right in front of tank tracks to stop them from moving.

I cannot imagine the lambs that populate America doing jack shit to stop a military coup.

jimmy olsen

Hell of a thing to wake up to. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

QuoteGen. Wesley Clark on CNN saying the coup plotters made "a lot of mistakes—not arresting the president, not shutting off the internet..."

Heh, Wes is correct, but it's a little concerning a retired General is arm-chair quarterbacking a coup.

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 15, 2016, 08:01:58 PM
Hell of a thing to wake up to. :unsure:

You should start a thread about it.   :P

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 15, 2016, 07:31:24 PM

Backing American interests.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2016, 08:10:22 PM
QuoteGen. Wesley Clark on CNN saying the coup plotters made "a lot of mistakes—not arresting the president, not shutting off the internet..."

Heh, Wes is correct, but it's a little concerning a retired General is arm-chair quarterbacking a coup.

Hans would agree. Seedy thinks you're the devil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall