News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

It sounds like the military is divided, so I seriously doubt this coup succeeds.

Unfortunately this means Turkey will now become essentially a fascist country with strong Islamist influences. The idiots who attempted this have a lot to answer for, to be honest.

mongers

Breaking News:

QuoteThere is now a very real threat that Queequeg will go full Byzantine within the next 30-60 minutes, bystanders and civilians are advised to seek shelter in calmer threads. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

I imagine that is a certain outcome.

Queequeg

Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 06:04:02 PM
Breaking News:

QuoteThere is now a very real threat that Queequeg will go full Byzantine within the next 30-60 minutes, bystanders and civilians are advised to seek shelter in calmer threads. 
I used to argue sarcastically that the only real way to have Middle Eastern and Balkan peace is by restoring the Empire.  I no longer think that is sarcasm, but just a factual statement because the Empire coming back is about as likely as the entire region avoiding becoming Greater Somalia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

CNN is showing people marching and chanting walking into and through the Istanbul airport.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 05:24:41 PM
Washington's assessment:

Reuters World 
@ReutersWorld     
United States believes coup attempt underway in Turkey
2:47 PM - 15 Jul 2016

Wow, the Administration is really going out on a limb there.  I guess next they'll put out a release saying that the US believes that fire is hot, and that drinking bleach is probably not a particularly good idea.

EDIT:  Apparently the Administration just announced support for Erdogan.  That is going a bit out on a limb;  gotta say I'm surprised.

Habbaku

White House released a statement saying that Turks should back the elected government.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 15, 2016, 06:20:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 05:24:41 PM
Washington's assessment:

Reuters World 
@ReutersWorld     
United States believes coup attempt underway in Turkey
2:47 PM - 15 Jul 2016

Wow, the Administration is really going out on a limb there.  I guess next they'll put out a release saying that the US believes that fire is hot, and that drinking bleach is probably not a particularly good idea.

Of course the Administration has also recently said this.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

I'm used to getting ninja'd 'cause I type too slow;  looks like I typed too fast this time. 

LaCroix

more evidence that the coup doesn't have a chance  :P

DGuller

OttoVonBismarck

Yep, this bitch is over. The General in charge of the 3rd Corps of the Turkish Army is ordering soldiers back to barracks. Reports that coup aircraft are being shot down. The press agent for the Intelligence Ministry is saying the government is in full control and the coup is crushed. Germany and the U.S. have both released statements saying they support the government (they likely would remain quiet until they were pretty sure Erdogan was going to survive, because they would have to work with the junta if Erdogan was successfully deposed.)

Sophie Scholl

I'm not so sure.  Seems very early to make such a call.  The PM also said all aircraft that fly over Ankara will be shot down.  Doesn't sound secure to me.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

DGuller

So they helicopter being shot down was not just on the side of the coup, but contained coup plotters?  Am I hearing this right?

DGuller

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 15, 2016, 06:38:57 PM
I'm not so sure.  Seems very early to make such a call.  The PM also said all aircraft that fly over Ankara will be shot down.  Doesn't sound secure to me.
I don't think it is.  Such situations favor those who seem to have the momentum.  Obviously being unable to enforce the martial law is not a show of strength.  Police clearly seem in control based on what I see on CNN.