News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

If there are explosions at TRT which we know the coup seized, that suggests to me someone is assaulting their position with decent firepower. If that's the case it may indeed just be a small junta trying this.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 15, 2016, 05:00:37 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 04:59:21 PM
If this coup succeeds expect plenty of evidence, real or made up, to presented showing was Erdogan in league with ISIL.

Probably responsible for Izal as well

That's rough stuff, though maybe they won't be able to make the dirt stick to it?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

With the mass demonstrations for Erdogan in the streets, if the military is truly united their only mechanism to win would be to disperse the crowds--which will be a blood path similar to those we saw in Ukraine's Maidan.

Malicious Intent

Just saw a short video of bursts of air-to-ground tracer fire on TV. Looked like a helicopter gunship's canon.

Solmyr

QuoteIgnore photos being circulated of extremely large demonstrations. These are from last year.

mongers

FS Boris Johnson response:

@BorisJohnson    13m

Very concerned by events unfolding in #Turkey. Our Embassy is monitoring the situation closely. Brits should follow FCO website for advice

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2016, 05:04:11 PM
And now just saw one of my good friends is currently in Istanbul airport...

Hope your friend is okay.  I am sure the army wants the airport protected, however.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

OttoVonBismarck

I'm hearing reports military tanks firing around the airport; other reports about heavily armed police units in APCs rallying. Things could get ugly.

Valmy

I am glad we have the steady hand of Boris Johnson leading the Western Allies in these troubled times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malicious Intent

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2016, 05:17:15 PM
I'm hearing reports military tanks firing around the airport; other reports about heavily armed police units in APCs rallying. Things could get ugly.

Reuters and Anadolu report helicopters firing on the police HQ and tanks firing near the parliament.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 05:18:53 PM
I am glad we have the steady hand of Boris Johnson leading the Western Allies in these troubled times.

Brexit is indeed looking more and more like excellent timing. ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

OttoVonBismarck

Everything I'm reading suggesting more fighting at the airport--I have to imagine it's seen as a major strategic point for the pro-Erdogan police. With it under police control they could probably more easily move pro-regime forces into the capital to help fight the military, I would think.

Tamas

So what are the odds of a stalemate devolving into an eventual Syria situation in Turkey?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2016, 05:22:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 05:18:53 PM

Brexit is indeed looking more and more like excellent timing. ^_^

I've always believed that brexit will look like pretty small beer as the next few years unfold.

mongers

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 15, 2016, 05:19:52 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2016, 05:17:15 PM

Reuters and Anadolu report helicopters firing on the police HQ and tanks firing near the parliament.

Reuters witness says one helicopter:

Reuters World 
@ReutersWorld    

MORE: Military helicopter opens fire over Turkish capital Ankara - Reuters witness

Also Washington's assessment:

Reuters World 
@ReutersWorld     
United States believes coup attempt underway in Turkey, unclear who is winning - U.S. government sources
2:47 PM - 15 Jul 2016