Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 15, 2016, 04:38:40 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2016, 04:37:44 PM
Should seek refuge with Mutti.

Speaking of which, have the visa restrictions for Turks to enter the EU been lifted yet?

NBC is reporting that Erdogan's seeking asylum in Germany.  :lol: :wacko:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

I think I still have an Efes Dark in the beer fridge to toast the coup.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Solmyr

https://twitter.com/24heuropegr/status/754068512088489985

Quote#Turkey Erdogan in airplane, refused landing at #Istanbul, now trying to seek asylum in Germany, US defense officials say, @MSNBC

Zanza

Strange to think that I would at least be sympathetic to a military coup in Turkey. Back in the late 1990s or early 2000s I thought that a then moderate AKP breaking the hold of the military on society would be a good sign towards democracy. But these days, a military dictatorship seems preferable to Erdogan...

Liep

Footage of civilians trying to block tanks on Sky News. I hope the orders are to not fire on civilians under any circumstance.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Solmyr on July 15, 2016, 04:42:39 PM
Apparently Snapchat and Steam are not blocked in Turkey. :P

QuoteApparently Erdogan is seeking asylum in Germany after being denied landing in Istanbul.

Excuse me for a moment...

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Richard Hakluyt

There is this vague feeling that a coup is semi-constitutional at this point, given that Erdogan is unravelling so much of Ataturk's legacy.

LaCroix

well, if the coup succeeds, hopefully it works out for turkey :)

Zanza

Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2016, 04:43:23 PM
:hmm: Eh, doesn't he have any other countries that like him better than we do...?  :huh:

Archy

First news I read was that bridges in Istanbul were closed and shooting and airplanes for some reason I thought of an attack by ISIS or pkk

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2016, 04:49:32 PM
:hmm: Eh, doesn't he have any other countries that like him better than we do...?  :huh:

Boris is already working on a new limerick.

Solmyr

Quote from: Liep on July 15, 2016, 04:45:33 PM
Footage of civilians trying to block tanks on Sky News. I hope the orders are to not fire on civilians under any circumstance.

Someone got shot: https://twitter.com/Souria4Syrians/status/754066725776289793

QuoteTurkish Army shot pro-Erdogan fanatic who ran at army positions screaming "Allahu Akbar"

Malthus

Well, he recently hammered out a deal with Israel, maybe he could go there.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

Unconfirmed reports helicopters firing on coup forces at the TRT (State broadcaster) building. Adds muddle to the debate as to whether this is military vs Erdogan or a small faction of the military vs Erdogan and the rest of the military.

I think the problem with this coup, is even if successful, Erdogan has successfully stoked Islamism for over a decade in Turkey. His supporters won't be like Turks of generations past, lots of them could very well become outright Islamic terrorists fighting the new regime, which will degrade quality of life in Turkey immensely.

Legbiter

What's one more Islamist refugee to Germany?  :sleep:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.