Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 15, 2016, 04:45:37 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on July 15, 2016, 04:42:39 PM
Apparently Snapchat and Steam are not blocked in Turkey. :P

QuoteApparently Erdogan is seeking asylum in Germany after being denied landing in Istanbul.

Excuse me for a moment...

:lmfao:

One more Al-Quran thumper from Turkey in Germany won't make a difference indeed.  :P

PS: Dammit Legbiter beat me to it! :(

OttoVonBismarck

#ConspiracyTheory: Why did France close its consulate in Turkey two days ago? (From the reddit hordes.)

mongers

Has any part of the US administration condemned this coup, because from what I heard Kerry say, the Obama govt appears rather stand-offish.

If the coup succeeds, I reckon it'll get a diplomatic reaction similar to the one endured by the Sisi regime in Egypt.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2016, 04:55:35 PM
#ConspiracyTheory: Why did France close its consulate in Turkey two days ago? (From the reddit hordes.)

If Flanby can successfully coup Turkey I am impressed.  :lmfao:

OttoVonBismarck

I think with a NATO ally and it being Turkey the U.S. won't say anything of substance until it's clear who will win. They are major allies--we need to be on good terms with whoever wins. If it's Erdogan we release a supportive statement about rule of law, stability etc. If it's the military we probably issue a statement saying something like "we support the Turkish people and hope for a swift restoration of democratic government."

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 04:55:51 PM
Has any part of the US administration condemned this coup, because from what I heard Kerry say, the Obama govt appears rather stand-offish.

If the coups successful I reckon it'll get a diplomatic reaction similar to the one endured by the Sisi regime in Egypt.

If the coup succeeds they will have always been for it and if the coup fails they will have always been against it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

If this coup succeeds expect plenty of evidence, real or made up, to presented showing was Erdogan in league with ISIL.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

Reuters

EU source says Turkey coup bid looks substantial, 'not just a few colonels'

A coup attempt in Turkey involves a substantial part of the military and "not just a few colonels", a European Union source monitoring events in the EU candidate country said on Friday.

"It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels," the source told Reuters.

"They've got control of the airports and are expecting control over the TV station imminently," the source said, shortly before state television TRT broadcast a military declaration of martial law.

"They control several strategic points in Istanbul. Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing," the source said.

Another European diplomat said he was attending a dinner with the Turkish ambassador in a European capital when they were interrupted by messages on their mobile phones.

"This is clearly not some tinpot little coup. The Turkish ambassador was clearly shocked and is taking it very seriously," the diplomat told Reuters as the dinner party broke up

garbon

Crazy. My taxi driver was just telling me about this in his broken English and I had no idea what he was talking about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2016, 04:59:21 PM
If this coup succeeds expect plenty of evidence, real or made up, to presented showing was Erdogan in league with ISIL.

Probably responsible for Izal as well

Legbiter

Germany has said NEIN to Erdogan according to MSNBC.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

Pictures of civilians taking over a tank. I guess Erdogan's cunning plan is working?

OttoVonBismarck

Unfortunately if the coup fails, Erdogan is likely to just become an outright dictator in response. This will be the last justification he needed (and why I at first had a vague thought maybe he was behind some tiny little faux-coup for just this reason), so as much as I think a coup is not a good thing for Turkey, now that it's started I almost have to hope it succeeds because the opposite is probably a "lasting despotism" akin to Putin's Russia.

garbon

And now just saw one of my good friends is currently in Istanbul airport...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2016, 05:01:39 PM
Pictures of civilians taking over a tank. I guess Erdogan's cunning plan is working?

Possibly is--I have to assume the soldiers in the streets were given orders to not fight civilians, so it's possible if they surrounded a tank the only option they'd have was to get out of it and surrender it since they couldn't very well start running over civilians.