News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I'd be surprised if all the military were behind this. I'd expect Erdogan to have installed as many loyalists as possible during his years in power.

Duque de Bragança

Just heard on Euronews that Erdogan blames also Gülen for the coup.

Queequeg

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2016, 05:46:18 PM
Total fantasy.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

I have a MASSIVE war boner right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2016, 05:41:56 PM
QuoteThe commander of Turkey's First Army, Gen. Umit Dundar, said on live television that the Turkish army does not support the coup launched against the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, multiple journalists reported via Twitter on July 15. Dundar's comments indicate that not all elements of the Turkish military support the coup, which opens the possibility for a counter-coup. 

Is this a "there are no American tanks in Baghdad" kind of announcement or legitimate - only time will tell.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Queequeg on July 15, 2016, 05:47:35 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2016, 05:46:18 PM
Total fantasy.

Sounds like typical Erdogan propaganda but yes, unlikely to say the least.

Queequeg

Rumor is that this is already over.  Coup leaders surrender. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Solmyr

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on July 15, 2016, 05:50:04 PM

No man is more accursed than the hype slayer.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

If the coup fails, blame it on Greece/Byzantium.

Sophie Scholl

Constant calls to prayer from mosques mixed with pro-Erdogan messages and calls to flood the streets.  Nasty business.  Definitely going to be a huge swing to Islamic influence if Erdogan wins you would have to imagine with this much support being shown.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Queequeg

My twitter is exploding.  I'm just giving you guys the cliffnotes. 

Queequeg

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 15, 2016, 05:52:38 PM
Constant calls to prayer from mosques mixed with pro-Erdogan messages and calls to flood the streets.  Nasty business.  Definitely going to be a huge swing to Islamic influence if Erdogan wins you would have to imagine with this much support being shown.
Hagia Sophia will be re-converted and it will likely be covered=i e the mosaics and other Christian art will be plastered over or destroyed.  That's been in the works for a decade.  I argued at a party last night that this was inevitable in the next 5 years but now probably sooner. 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Queequeg on July 15, 2016, 05:54:25 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 15, 2016, 05:52:38 PM
Hagia Sophia will be re-converted and it will likely be covered=i e the mosaics and other Christian art will be plastered over or destroyed.  That's been in the works for a decade.  I argued at a party last night that this was inevitable in the next 5 years but now probably sooner.

EU to send a stern letter condemning it but not interrupting EU entry negotiations.

Jacob

Quote from: Queequeg on July 15, 2016, 05:50:04 PM

That, of course, is also the rumour you'd spread if you were anti-coup and things were uncertain.

Doesn't, of course, mean the rumour is false.