News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Attack in Nice on July 14th

Started by Duque de Bragança, July 14, 2016, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

I guess the police can't rule out the possibility this was intended to be an explosive laden lorry bomb, but for some reason it wasn't triggered or set off and so the driver carried on running down people?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 14, 2016, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2016, 06:17:59 PM
For some reason the Élysée Palace (French president residency) still does not want to say it's a terrorist attack. Just a criminal act.  :hmm:

A video of the lorry picking up pace to crush people has been shown on French TV.

Mustn't appear racist at all cost.

Otherwise, Le Pen would profit from it, I know. Still...

Hollande is now back from Avignon, at the Interior ministry crisis cell, place Beauveau in Paris, not far from the Elysée palace itself.

Lorry ran over people for about 2 km at 40-50 kph along the famous Promenade des Anglais that had like 100,000 people there watching the fireworks.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 06:33:25 PM
I guess the police can't rule out the possibility this was intended to be an explosive laden lorry bomb, but for some reason it wasn't triggered or set off and so the driver carried on running down people?

It's still unclear if there was a firefight with the driver, after the truck was stopped, by arms fire.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2016, 06:35:53 PM

It's still unclear if there was a firefight with the driver, after the truck was stopped, by arms fire.

I've just heard on the bbbc news channel an interview with an Egyptian tourist, who said he was within feet of the truck when it stopped and he saw the driver pull out a handgun before engaging/being engaged by police. He says he has a video of it on his phone.

edit:

AP are saying:

The Associated Press
@AP    16m
BREAKING: Christian Estrosi, president of the region, says the truck in Nice was loaded with arms and grenades.

Hamilcar

From the Guardian:
Quote"There were so many Muslim people who were victims because I could see they had scarves over their head and some were speaking Arabic. One family lost a mother and in Arabic they were saying she's a martyr.

This, right here, is the problem.

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 14, 2016, 06:41:17 PM
From the Guardian:
Quote"There were so many Muslim people who were victims because I could see they had scarves over their head and some were speaking Arabic. One family lost a mother and in Arabic they were saying she's a martyr.

Or she might be a martyr to carrying on ones day-to-day life and enjoying civic celebrations alongside a broad range of her fellow citizens?

Hamilcar

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 06:44:59 PM
From the Guardian:

Or she might be a martyr to carrying on ones day to day life and enjoying civic celebrations alongside a the broad range of her fellow citizens?

Do you really believe that?  :huh:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 06:39:27 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2016, 06:35:53 PM

I've just heard on the bbbc news channel an interview with an Egyptian tourist, who said he was within feet of the truck when it stopped and he saw the driver pull out a handgun before engaging/being engaged by police. He says he has a video of it on his phone.

edit:

AP are saying:

The Associated Press
@AP    16m
BREAKING: Christian Estrosi, president of the region, says the truck in Nice was loaded with arms and grenades.

It's plausible for the part by the Egyptian tourist.
I mentioned earlier the report about the lorry but then later some other source on TV said weapons were fake.

jimmy olsen

From the Guardian:

How?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 14, 2016, 06:45:50 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 06:44:59 PM
From the Guardian:

Or she might be a martyr to carrying on ones day to day life and enjoying civic celebrations alongside a the broad range of her fellow citizens?

Do you really believe that?  :huh:

You're the one putting forward a 'hypothesis' that the use of a tradition cultural phrase is somehow proof of a serious problem; I was merely conjecturing that this un-named victim of this massacre is no different to all the other people murdered.

I'd say the onus is on you to prove your grand theory.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 14, 2016, 06:03:02 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 14, 2016, 06:01:21 PM
I can't see what kind of security measures could have stopped an attack like this particular one, really.

You go and find everyone who has contact with ISIS propaganda and if they are not French citizens, you deport them immediately. If they are dual citizens, strip them of French citizenship and deport them immediately. If they are solely French citizens, send them for in-depth de-radicalization followed by permanent monitoring.

What is contact with ISIS propaganda? Like they have ever seen it? Also the way we protect our societies is to no longer be open societies?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Guardian reports that the driver has been identified.

QuoteBoth French TV station BFM and local newspaper Nice-Matin are reporting that the driver is a 31-year-old with dual French-Tunisian nationality.

BFM is quoting a police source via Agence France-Presse who said that an ID card was found inside the truck. Reports say the man was a Nice resident.

1 Karma Chameleon point