News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rio Olympics - Shaping up to be a disaster?

Started by Berkut, July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

If Mass and NH can produce good wine then so can Alaska or Texas.
PDH!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2016, 05:02:17 PM
I was wondering, does Texas make good wine?  There aren't any on sale over here, but looking at Wikipedia, it seems there's a growing wine industry over there.

Depends on the varietal.  Hill Country Tempranillos tend to be good.  Pinot noirs are a bit hit-or-miss, but there are a few good ones (e.g., Sister Creek).  Some wineries like Pedernales have good red blends.  The biggest problem is that many are overpriced for what you get.  It's $15/bottle - $20/bottle wines being sold for $35/bottle - $45/bottle.

Solmyr

Liep

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the countries who voted for Bach won't care that he let's this one slide and keeps Russia in.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

If Russia does get banned will they all start boycotting all the KFCs in Russia to protest?

Oh hell the Russians probably do that anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Well, KFCs should be boycotted for healthy diet reasons anyways.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2016, 08:26:07 AM

What? It is just regular fried chicken. Not very good fried chicken but still.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36855244

QuoteA decision to ban Russian track and field athletes from Rio 2016 over the country's alleged state-sponsored doping regime has been upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

(where's the "banned" smiley?)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2016, 08:26:46 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2016, 08:26:07 AM

What? It is just regular fried chicken. Not very good fried chicken but still.

Regular? More like bottom of the barrel or bucket. Or is it this Bleu commercial?

Maybe they had one bucket before the final. That would explain their performance.  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Solmyr on July 21, 2016, 05:06:40 AM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36855244

QuoteA decision to ban Russian track and field athletes from Rio 2016 over the country's alleged state-sponsored doping regime has been upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

(where's the "banned" smiley?)

:banned:

celedhring

There's still room for appeal, but CAS rarely overturns itself.

IOC has to rule about banning Russia from the games outright in the few days, too.

alfred russel

The Olympics without Russia will not be as good. Hopefully they will be let in. Watching a doped up Russian team get beat will be fun.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Great Santini

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2016, 02:56:19 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2016, 02:45:39 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.
Which recent Olympics were a success?
London I guess. Barcelona for sure. Otherwise?

Which ones would you consider failures?  Taking a broad view Sochi and Athens certainly had problems, but the games themselves seemed to go well.  Sydney, Beijing, Salt Lake City, Turin and Vancouver all seemed to me to be successes.

Athens was a complete disaster. Poster child for the Greek collapse.
I don't know enough of the situation in the other places really.
██████
██████
██████