News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Lawyers - Legal Software Question

Started by PRC, July 22, 2016, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Any of you Canadian lawyers know of a good cloud-based software suitable for a small firm that is growing?  Not that the lawyers actually use the programs but maybe you've heard your secretaries complain enough about whatever it is you do use? 

Currently clients use a Lexis Nexis program... PC Law, which does what it needs to but is lacking in a lot of areas, particularly in the fact that its server based so not as suitable for satellite offices. 

Firm Manager is another Lexis Nexis product, but apparently its US only.  Important features:

Importing Data (getting PC Law data into the new program)
Cloud Based
File / Matter Management
Document Management
Calendar Sync
Trust Accounting & Billing
General Accounting
Document Assembly
Payroll Capabilities
Price Tag

I think CC is the only one in a smaller firm?  Maybe i'm wrong there, Beeb is with the Crown so probably uses a quill & paper based system and if I recall correctly Malthus is with a larger firm that probably has an in-house software solution.  Is HVC a lawyer, I can't recall. 

Thanks for any tips. 

HVC

Not a lawyer, accountant (better or worse I don't know hah).  Good luck with your query though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

I can't really help you out.  Working in government, we don't need half of the stuff that PC Law does - no need for timekeeping, or billing, or trust accounting.  For file management we have PRISM, or Prosecutor Information System Manager, which is a wonky in-house solution.  It's mostly terrible because it's built on top of the 25 year old JOIN, or Justice Online Information Network, which is a CLI-based system the courthouse uses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I can't fathom anything more eldritch than the intersection of IT and Legal.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2016, 11:58:36 AM
I can't fathom anything more eldritch than the intersection of IT and Legal.

:cthulu:

Hey, lawyers gotta use computers too.

Actually I remember 12 years ago when I wsa with a small firm in northern Alberta (that didn't have anything like PC Law), I got our viper to write me a little Excel app which gave me little buttons to push so that I could try to keep track of my billable hours. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.