News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rio Olympics - Shaping up to be a disaster?

Started by Berkut, July 05, 2016, 08:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Almost every state has a growing wine industry nowadays.  According to Wikipedia, Texas is 4th among US states in wine production, behind California, New York, and Washington.  (I would have bet that Virginia was 4th, because all the domestic wines I can remember ever seeing in stores were from either Cali, NY, Washington state, Virginia, or whatever state I happened to be in).  While I've been to Texas, to my knowledge I've never tasted a Texas wine, but there are over 200 wineries there (again according to Wiki), so you'd think at least some of them are good.

North Carolina has a lot more wineries and wine production than West Virginia, but while there are some WV wines I've found quite good, so far I haven't tasted a NC wine that I like.  OTOH, while I've tried wines from 8 or 9 of WVs 11 wineries, I've only tried about 6 NC wines out of over 100 wineries here.

dps

And, yeah, by all means, lets derail this thread with a discussion of regional American wine-making.  :)

viper37

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2016, 05:25:53 PM
And, yeah, by all means, lets derail this thread with a discussion of regional American wine-making.  :)
very interesting.  Do they export or is it just local production?

Looking at the Société des Alcools du Québec, I see wines from California, Oregon, Washington, 4 from New York and 1 from Virginia.  Too bad it's so costly to import, I would have tried some from NC :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

I have not found many American wines from outside of the West Coast and parts of NY that I've enjoyed.  We have a local winery that people here rave about, but they only have a couple wines I would call drinkable. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: derspiess on July 06, 2016, 10:20:28 PM
I have not found many American wines from outside of the West Coast and parts of NY that I've enjoyed.  We have a local winery that people here rave about, but they only have a couple wines I would call drinkable.

Idaho's Snake River Valley has heat and volcanic soils similar to Columbia Basin. Might want to try something from those areas.

CountDeMoney

I thought Arizona wines were all the rage with the wine fags these days, what with similarities to southern Italian productions and whatnot.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2016, 05:02:17 PM
I was wondering, does Texas make good wine?  There aren't any on sale over here, but looking at Wikipedia, it seems there's a growing wine industry over there.

We have a big winery tourism industry growing out in the Hill Country. I am going to be taking a trip there soon I will let you know what I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, there seem to be quite a few vineyards up there around Fredericksburg and Johnson City.  I'm not a wine guy though, so I've never stopped anywhere and tried them out (or picked up any from HEB, which stocks a shitload of them, understandably).

dps

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2016, 09:24:31 PM
Quote from: dps on July 06, 2016, 05:25:53 PM
very interesting.  Do they export or is it just local production?

Looking at the Société des Alcools du Québec, I see wines from California, Oregon, Washington, 4 from New York and 1 from Virginia.  Too bad it's so costly to import, I would have tried some from NC :)

I'm pretty sure that none of the WV wineries export anything out of the US, and I kind of doubt that any of the NC wineries do either.  I checked some of the websites of some of the bigger wineries and none of them mention any exporting.   

dps

Shamelessly stolen from MSN.com, which stole it from USA Today, apparently:

QuoteTo celebrate the upcoming Rio Olympics and the latest advances in technology, NBC will be giving a few lucky viewers rotary phones and cathode ray tube TVs!

But you'd better hurry if you want to have a chance to win these high-tech marvels. Clip the entry form from this weekend's newspaper and send it to NBC along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Winners will be hand-selected at random and notified by mail!

Josquius

I was thinking about this the other day.
Which recent Olympics were a success?
London I guess. Barcelona for sure. Otherwise?
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2016, 02:45:39 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.
Which recent Olympics were a success?
London I guess. Barcelona for sure. Otherwise?

Which ones would you consider failures?  Taking a broad view Sochi and Athens certainly had problems, but the games themselves seemed to go well.  Sydney, Beijing, Salt Lake City, Turin and Vancouver all seemed to me to be successes.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2016, 11:06:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2016, 05:02:17 PM
I was wondering, does Texas make good wine?  There aren't any on sale over here, but looking at Wikipedia, it seems there's a growing wine industry over there.

We have a big winery tourism industry growing out in the Hill Country. I am going to be taking a trip there soon I will let you know what I think.
cool!

I just visited a winery south of Montreal, it was pretty nice with a decent white wine :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Florida wines, I have found, are almost always sickeningly sweet. :yuk:  There's a lot of tropical fruit wine produced down here (:yuk: again).

Michigan wines are similar to those of upstate New York or Southeastern Ontario; decent whites, okay reds.  Michigan also produces its share of Ice Wine (:yuk: one more time.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk