Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2016, 09:13:00 PM
Yeah, apparently Lochte left early, is already in the US.  The other guys were on their way, apparently they took them off their plane.

I wonder if the robbed-at-gunpoint claim is bullshit, and they were out whoring and something went wrong.  I could believe either story...

Lochte didn't "leave early," he left on the flight arranged for him before the games even started.  Ditto Phelps.

I think they likely did make up the robbery story to cover something that went wrong at, say, a whorehouse or drug den and resulted in Lochte losing his credit cards.  They never filed a police report, and never went public with this until Lochte's mother reported this to the press.

Sounds like Lochte wanted to keep his mom from finding out how he really lost his credit cards, but also needed her to cancel said credit cards, so he made up a story.  when she went public with this scandal, he got his buddies to back up his little white lie, and then had to lie again to the press.  Bad decisions led to unforeseen (but foreseeable) consequences.

Also sounds like some Brazilian judge or prosecutor got their panties in a knot and decided to try to force the swimmers to admit they had made up the story, even though the Brazilian authorities concede they did nothing illegal.  These bad decisions also led to unforeseen (but foreseeable) consequences.  Now it is the Brazilian authorities that look like the punks, not the swimmers (especially Lochte).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2016, 11:37:39 AM
Now it is the Brazilian authorities that look like the punks, not the swimmers (especially Lochte).

Lochte looks like a punk. With his dyed hair he also looks completely ridiculous.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Lochte is 32 years old... Dude should know better than to drunkenly vandalize a gas station and then lie about it.

Everyone gets drunk and does things they regret. Own up to it. Now he just seems like a total douche.  *

*if these allegations are true
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

And I imagine the Brazilian police haven't exactly been delicate investigating the alleged armed robbery of a world-famous athlete at one of the biggest events Brazil's ever held.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 18, 2016, 11:57:12 AM
Lochte is 32 years old... Dude should know better than to drunkenly vandalize a gas station and then lie about it.

Everyone gets drunk and does things they regret. Own up to it. Now he just seems like a total douche.  *

I got the douche vibe from him in London as well. Hope this is the last time we have to hear from this guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

He should know better than to drunkenly shoot down airliners, as well.

the Brazilian police have confirmed they are not investigating anyone for any crimes, so I don't know where the gas station vandalism story comes from.

And, yes, Lochte was a total douche before these games, during the games, and after the games.  But that is not, unfortunately, a crime.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2016, 12:12:53 PM
But that is not, unfortunately, a crime.

I feel like you wouldn't really want to be in prison though. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2016, 04:15:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 04:06:26 AM
Is it me or are the Brazilian spectators being a bunch of jerks? Whenever there's a Brazilian competing with chances of winning metal, the crowds often jeer the rivals pretty loudly. Heck, I saw them cheer when an American gymnast made a mistake the other day that gave one of their countrymen a medal.

I don't remember the crowds in past Olympics being so brazenly un-sporting. Supporting the home team? Sure, but respecting the rivals.

It is not you, they are being dicks.
What do you expect from people descended from beach rubbers.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

the Brazilian police have confirmed they are not investigating anyone for any crimes, so I don't know where the gas station vandalism story comes from.

And, yes, Lochte was a total douche before these games, during the games, and after the games.  But that is not, unfortunately, a crime.

Got it from the Guardian and WaPo. I'm inclined to believe the vandalism stories are true, but of course leave open the possibility it's bullshit. As you said, the police aren't bothering to investigate any further, for whatever reasons they may have.

He's still a douche though. Don't need a full investigation for that  :D

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 18, 2016, 02:51:00 PM

Got it from the Guardian and WaPo. I'm inclined to believe the vandalism stories are true, but of course leave open the possibility it's bullshit. As you said, the police aren't bothering to investigate any further, for whatever reasons they may have.

Apparently Lochte and company paid the gas station for the damages, so the station isn't interested in filing charges.  And since it seems that the swimmers never actually filed a complaint with the police stating that they'd been robbed, either, there's no charges possible for filing a phony report with the police.  Lying to your mommy about where your money went and then repeating the lie with somewhat different details to the media isn't a crime.

celedhring

I'm quite amused that a 32-year old sports star still has to report to his mom what he spends his money on :lol:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2016, 04:00:32 PM
I'm quite amused that a 32-year old sports star still has to report to his mom what he spends his money on :lol:

Says something about his character. Maybe explains a bit of it too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2016, 12:58:52 PM
But that is not, unfortunately, a crime.

I feel like you wouldn't really want to be in prison though. :unsure:

I'll bet that gag actually worked for you in third grade.  :console:

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2016, 04:35:21 PM
I'll bet that gag actually worked for you in third grade.  :console:

So a perfect fit for the languish audience as well.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 18, 2016, 02:51:00 PM

Just saw that.  Didn't really drunkenly vandalize a gas station, though; he just apparently broke the lock on the restroom door when the attendant wouldn't let him have the key.  Security objected, and there was some kind of scuffle, by the accounts I am seeing.

Inexcusable behavior, for sure, and a crime to boot.  I do find it hilarious, though, that some commentators are arguing that his lies are "an embarrassment for the US," as though he had been appointed the US Ambassador or something before this happened.  He's embarrassed himself and whoever decided to let him be on the team in Rio, but "the US" shouldn't be embarrassed at all.

Bayraktar!