Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 10:53:06 AM
Our last two medals have been won by a Cuban runner that defected in 2013, and an Oxford-born rower with the very Spanish name of "Marcus Walz".  :hmm:

Ah well, the army of the Duke of Alba were mostly Italians and Germans, too. We are used to employing foreigners to bring us glory.

The US wins a lot of medals, but truth be told very few of our winners have Native American names either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2016, 12:04:17 PM
Our last two medals have been won by a Cuban runner that defected in 2013, and an Oxford-born rower with the very Spanish name of "Marcus Walz".  :hmm:

Ah well, the army of the Duke of Alba were mostly Italians and Germans, too. We are used to employing foreigners to bring us glory.

The US wins a lot of medals, but truth be told very few of our winners have Native American names either.

I'm hardly a nativist, it's just that our government really really loves fast tracking citizenships for any half-decent athlete that somehow ends up in Spanish soil. Johan Mühlegg was particularly hilarious.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2016, 12:04:17 PM

I'm hardly a nativist, it's just that our government really really loves fast tracking citizenships for any half-decent athlete that somehow ends up in Spanish soil. Johan Mühlegg was particularly hilarious.

He's making a joke ("Native American" = descendants of the pre-Columbian aboriginal population).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 17, 2016, 03:03:07 PM
He's making a joke ("Native American" = descendants of the pre-Columbian aboriginal population).

I presume he knows that :P

But I hear Jim Thorpe was always annoyed when some non-American immigrant won.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

I thought that AR was just pointing out the fact that every country is made up of immigrants if you look far enough. We are really brazen about giving out passports to guys that wouldn't remotely qualify under our standard citizenship rules though.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 03:16:55 PM
I thought that AR was just pointing out the fact that every country is made up of immigrants if you look far enough. We are really brazen about giving out passports to guys that wouldn't remotely qualify under our standard citizenship rules though.

At least you're not Qatar'ing it and outright buying athletes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

At least Walz has been living in Mallorca since he was a baby. Brits and Germans are not foreigners there.  :P

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 10:53:06 AMWe are used to employing foreigners to bring us glory.

The Romans did a lot of that. It didn't work out in the end.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2016, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 10:53:06 AMWe are used to employing foreigners to bring us glory.

The Romans did a lot of that. It didn't work out in the end.  :P

You can have too much of a good thing :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

So they're not letting some US swimmers leave the country...pulling them off the plane..?

HVC

I heard Brazil wanted to detain lochte and the guy(s?) he was with over the claims they were held at gunpoint claim, but it thought they were already in the states?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, apparently Lochte left early, is already in the US.  The other guys were on their way, apparently they took them off their plane.

I wonder if the robbed-at-gunpoint claim is bullshit, and they were out whoring and something went wrong.  I could believe either story...

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2016, 09:13:00 PM
Yeah, apparently Lochte left early, is already in the US.  The other guys were on their way, apparently they took them off their plane.

I wonder if the robbed-at-gunpoint claim is bullshit, and they were out whoring and something went wrong.  I could believe either story...
looked it up and daileymail (great source I know :P) has photos of them coming back on that night and going through a checkpoint with the stuff they said was stolen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3746324/U-S-Olympic-swimmers-Gunnar-Bentz-Jack-Conger-REMOVED-flight-Brazilian-authorities-following-Ryan-Lochte-s-claim-robbed-gunpoint.html
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2016, 09:15:39 PM
looked it up and daileymail (great source I know :P)

Hey, they may not be the bestest, but sometimes those rags are the fastest.

Josquius

Apparently a bit of a wrestling scandal.
Russia beats Ukraine. ...where the ukrainian guy should have won- the judge it turns out is a Georgian-Russian.
Even having  a Georgian judge seems a bad idea before you get into the Russian part.
██████
██████
██████