Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I don't follow the Olympics much, but by pure random chance my wife and I watched the Gold heavyweight bout yesterday, with the Russian vs. the Kazak boxers. Did any of you see it?

At the end of the fight, it looked obvious to this total non-expert that the Kazak  guy won it: I don't know how boxing is scored, but the Kazak appeared to be beating the crap out of the Russian, including bunching him hard in the face, and the Russian looked like he could barely stand up. Halfway through the final bout, the Russian was beaten in a way that opened a cut in his head, and got a lengthy time out for medical attention.

Yet the gold was awarded to the Russian.

The entire stadium erupted in boos (with the exception of a small group of Russian fans).  I guess it looked to them like it did to us: that the judging was wonky.

But then, I readily admit that what I know about boxing judging could be written on a thumb-nail, so who knows?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tishchenko-wins-controversial-boxing-heavyweight-gold-rio-232055413--oly.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

I'm not an expert on scoring, but Olympic boxing is a joke. To get the subjectivity out of it, it is scored based on the number of punches that connect, which is defined as the white part of the gloves making contact with the opponent in a predefined area. Considering that with the helmets and limited number of rounds it is very difficult to get a knockout, it basically makes Olympic boxing an elaborate game of tag.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2016, 09:02:46 AM
I'm not an expert on scoring, but Olympic boxing is a joke. To get the subjectivity out of it, it is scored based on the number of punches that connect, which is defined as the white part of the gloves making contact with the opponent in a predefined area. Considering that with the helmets and limited number of rounds it is very difficult to get a knockout, it basically makes Olympic boxing an elaborate game of tag.

Pretty sure it is scored similarly to pro boxing nowadays.

EDIT: There you have, http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2016/0807/807551-olympic-boxings-new-scoring-system-explained/

Personally I think that with such short bouts, the subjectiveness of judges becomes more of an issue.

Gups

They've got rid of the helmets this year.  And they've dropped punch counting scoring - it's now decided by the judges 10-8 or 10-9 as for pro boxing.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2016, 08:31:07 AM
I don't follow the Olympics much, but by pure random chance my wife and I watched the Gold heavyweight bout yesterday, with the Russian vs. the Kazak boxers. Did any of you see it?

At the end of the fight, it looked obvious to this total non-expert that the Kazak  guy won it: I don't know how boxing is scored, but the Kazak appeared to be beating the crap out of the Russian, including bunching him hard in the face, and the Russian looked like he could barely stand up. Halfway through the final bout, the Russian was beaten in a way that opened a cut in his head, and got a lengthy time out for medical attention.

The entire stadium erupted in boos (with the exception of a small group of Russian fans).  I guess it looked to them like it did to us: that the judging was wonky.

But then, I readily admit that what I know about boxing judging could be written on a thumb-nail, so who knows?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tishchenko-wins-controversial-boxing-heavyweight-gold-rio-232055413--oly.html
I wouldn't question the integrity of the judges.  It sounds like they kept their promise even when it was very hard to do.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 09:09:01 AM

Pretty sure it is scored similarly to pro boxing nowadays.

EDIT: There you have, http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2016/0807/807551-olympic-boxings-new-scoring-system-explained/

Personally I think that with such short bouts, the subjectiveness of judges becomes more of an issue.

That is good to hear. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2016, 09:14:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2016, 08:31:07 AM

I wouldn't question the integrity of the judges.  It sounds like they kept their promise even when it was very hard to do.

:yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Of course you wouldn't, cossack.  Fuck, why are you even on this side of the fucking planet?  I'm just going to start editing all your posts with .ru already, fuck almighty.  #[email protected]

Oh, and it's not like we've seen this before in Olympic boxing:
http://deadspin.com/5931226/was-this-disgraceful-olympic-boxing-match-fixed

Ed Anger

I enjoyed watching women's volleyball, US vs Japan.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2016, 06:35:55 PM

Of course you wouldn't, cossack.  Fuck, why are you even on this side of the fucking planet?  I'm just going to start editing all your posts with .ru already, fuck almighty.  #[email protected]

Eh, I would have to watch it before going all spastic about it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

I think we need an irony tag here.  You missed it, bro.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

:lol:

whoosh

CountDeMoney

I have no patience for pro-Russian trolls anymore--not in the Ukraine and not on Languish.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?