News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Privileged Are You

Started by garbon, June 20, 2016, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:59:54 PM
Nah, that's not enough of a deep examination of my character so couldn't be that simple.

Yeah, I was wondering that too, how do you get to a meaningful understanding of an individual from just the threads they post of languish.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Shrug. Garbon has posted plenty before and is perfectly willing to make claims about other peoples "privilege", so why would it be unreasonable to presume he is willing to do the same about his own, or lack thereof?

Perhaps he was just trolling then as well...?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2016, 05:01:42 PM
Ivy league educated

:contract:

mongers: See your cropping fell off the wagon. :thumbsdown:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

But Ivy league educated, international pharma employee, American expat living in London Garbon sure spells out "privileged" to me.

I'm not Ivy league educated and I don't work at a pharmaceutical company. 2 lies and a truth? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 05:06:51 PM
Shrug. Garbon has posted plenty before and is perfectly willing to make claims about other peoples "privilege", so why would it be unreasonable to presume he is willing to do the same about his own, or lack thereof?

Perhaps he was just trolling then as well...?

Do people in your world generally say 'Boom!' when they are being serious?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 05:54:36 PM
But Ivy league educated, international pharma employee, American expat living in London Garbon sure spells out "privileged" to me.

I'm not Ivy league educated and I don't work at a pharmaceutical company. 2 lies and a truth? :P
Oh come on, your school is in that caliber for sure, and the fact that you chose to not go to school in the horrible Northeast shows you're smarter than most Ivy Leaguers anyway.  :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 02:20:36 PM

Boom! (Though I'm not sure why this recently resurfaced on buzzfeed)

You live with 46 out of 100 points of privilege.

You're not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You've had your fair share of struggles, and you've worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

very americano-centric though.  Going to private school here is no big deal.  Government pays 60% of the bill and there are charities, or discount for large families.  My best friend is a simple farmer and he will send all his 3 kids to private school, starting next year with the 1st.

And the questions about religion... what if I have no religion?  Am i supposed to complain because there is no such thing as a place of worship for atheists? That's weird.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2016, 03:14:09 PM
I don't know why garbon foists buzzfeed on us.  It's not like we've hurt him or anything.

I got confused about "Identities".  What, like more than one?  Is this some sort of crazy thing?
If you go by Raz here, by Govory somewhere else, by Mike in your real life and to you these are all different people with which you can engage conversations at any time, then you are not priviledged.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Seedy, do you have a special catty crazy cat person site you get those from?

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2016, 06:44:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2016, 03:14:09 PM
I don't know why garbon foists buzzfeed on us.  It's not like we've hurt him or anything.

I got confused about "Identities".  What, like more than one?  Is this some sort of crazy thing?
If you go by Raz here, by Govory somewhere else, by Mike in your real life and to you these are all different people with which you can engage conversations at any time, then you are not priviledged.

Who's mike?  I thought you guys knew my name.  It's Brad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017