News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Privileged Are You

Started by garbon, June 20, 2016, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Poll looks like a pick 'n'mix for blue-haired, body-positive/landwhale, genderfluid, special snowflake tumblrinas to grab choice real estate in the Victim Olympics.  ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on June 20, 2016, 04:25:19 PM
As an atheist, I had trouble with the religion questions. How I am supposed to determine whether my city has a place for worshiping my (non)faith?  :hmm:

That's the thing about Atheism, It requires so little of your time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 04:30:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:05:59 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 20, 2016, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:03:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 03:25:50 PM
As Beeb mentioned, this is definitely intended for a North American college audience, but more than that, I think it's an attempt to codify the relative suffering weights assigned to each Oppressed Minority Group(tm).

I'd suggest you are overthinking it.

But you knew we would  :P

Of course, Languish can't resist a troll. :goodboy:

Ahh yes, the Marty defense.

Well what do you think - that I honestly thought this quiz was a good way to determine privilege?

Also, the Marti defense would involve defending one's vile actions/words.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I'm immensely privileged because of the country I was born in, even more so because of precisely where in it was.

Within this country I'm not very privileged, which is a relief.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Why would you suggest that?

Do you think examination of the dialogue that Oppressed Minorities have with each other has no value?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 04:38:41 PM

Because it was a throw away buzzfeed quiz?

Do you think examination of the dialogue that Oppressed Minorities have with each other has no value?

I think such dialogues are much broader than you are portraying them. For one, they don't have to be antagonistic ranking exercises.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:37:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 04:30:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:05:59 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 20, 2016, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 03:25:50 PM
As Beeb mentioned, this is definitely intended for a North American college audience, but more than that, I think it's an attempt to codify the relative suffering weights assigned to each Oppressed Minority Group(tm).

But you knew we would  :P

Of course, Languish can't resist a troll. :goodboy:

Ahh yes, the Marty defense.

Well what do you think - that I honestly thought this quiz was a good way to determine privilege?

I think you honestly thought this would be more evidence of how not privileged you are...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 04:48:50 PM
I think you honestly thought this would be more evidence of how not privileged you are...

Well I'm sorry that a) you think that lowly of me and b) after over a decade, know so little about me.

Not sure what else to say.

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2016, 04:38:21 PM
I'm immensely privileged because of the country I was born in, even more so because of precisely where in it was.

Within this country I'm not very privileged, which is a relief.  :bowler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diJNybk0Mw  :contract:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:51:29 PM

Well I'm sorry that a) you think that lowly of me and b) after over a decade, know so little about me.

Don't post crap like this and then act like you pulled one over on people when they note how crap it is - what else is there to say?

Personally, believing that you would post something like this as a troll rather than seriously doesn't make you look *better*.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 04:54:18 PM

Don't post crap like this and then act like you pulled one over on people when they note how crap it is - what else is there to say?

Personally, believing that you would post something like this as a troll rather than seriously doesn't make you look *better*.

I think it is a time honoured Languish tradition. Posting crap that gets people riled up (as is online quizzes!). I mean look how many posts this thread already got. That's not some pulling the wool over people's eyes though. :unsure:

And actually, I think that puts me in a much better light as opposed to say a person who has his life validated by online quizzes. :hmm:

mongers

Maybe he just posted it because, like most of us, we post shit on here sometimes?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2016, 04:59:07 PM

Maybe he just posted it because, like most of us, we post shit on here sometimes?

Nah, that's not enough of a deep examination of my character so couldn't be that simple.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2016, 04:47:50 PM

Because it was a throw away buzzfeed quiz?

I think such dialogues are much broader than you are portraying them. For one, they don't have to be antagonistic ranking exercises.

A throwaway test which includes all the main recognizable Oppressed Minority groups, thus was constructed by someone who has at least passing familiarity with the state of identity politics on US campuses.

I made no mention of the broadness of the dialogue.  In fact my use of the indefinite article, as in "an attempt to codify," should have made it clear this is not the all-encompassing, final word on the subject.

Barrister

I never took Garbo's post as being "Hey look at this awesome quizz" - more like "look at this ridiculous BS I found on Buzzfeed - I know you guys will get a kick out of it".

I mean according to the quizz Garbon is "not privileged", likely due to being a gay, black man.

But Ivy league educated, international pharma employee, American expat living in London Garbon sure spells out "privileged" to me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.