And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Prague and Vienna.

Started by jimmy olsen, June 16, 2016, 05:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2016, 07:52:57 AM
http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Prague.htm#.V2KgvIorJhE

Just looking at the site gave me a pang of nostalgia, haven't been getting out and about enough lately  :(

That must be the site. Been looking at it as of late.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Pishtaco

Prague is nice for the mix of wacky architecture from different time periods, and the way they aren't shy to decorate their buildings. Go and see art nouveau apartment buildings in Vinohrady (lots of expats and bars there), or some cubist architecture.

If you go to Letna park just north of the old town, there's a beer garden with good views over the city. If you have time, you could also walk up Vitkov hill, where the hussites defeated imperial crusaders. There's a big mounted statue of Jan Zizka there looking over the city, and nearby is the 70s TV tower with babies crawling up it. The 22 tram route is scenic, from Vinohrady, through Mala Strana, up the hill past the castle to Strahov. You can walk back through Petrin park.

Czech soups are good, if sometimes salty; have soup with every lunch. There are two classes of beer, 10 degree for regular drinking, and stronger 12 degree. The boiled-meet-and-dumplings side of Czech food gets old fast, but otherwise it's okay. Game is generally good. Tips can be a compromise between rounding up and 10 crowns.

As far as I know, "My" on Narodni is a Tesco department store. I don't know if this is still going, but on summer evenings there used to be open air music and bars along the embankment on the east side of the Vltava, running north from Vysehrad. There's a Korean community in Prague, with a church in Kobylisy.

There are good trains to Vienna. I think it's cheaper if you buy a few days in advance and get a booking on a particular train. Otherwise tickets are more expensive but you can take any train. Seat reservations are sold separately from tickets.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on June 16, 2016, 06:07:54 AM
In Vienna you must obviously try to meet Syt. :cheers:

Yeah. He might not want to be posting right now but I bet if he knew he'd do it. Meeting him was a cool experience.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Syt is an intrinsic part of the Vienna Experience  :cool:

You should get in touch with him Tim.

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 17, 2016, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 16, 2016, 06:07:54 AM
In Vienna you must obviously try to meet Syt. :cheers:

Yeah. He might not want to be posting right now but I bet if he knew he'd do it. Meeting him was a cool experience.
they are friends on Facebook so shouldn't be too hard to do.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Can I exchange won at the Prague airport?

Or do I have to get Euros in Incheon and exchange them when I get to Prague?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Why would any of us know that?  :lol:

Good luck in any case, and if you see Syt, tell him me and my wife said hi.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 05, 2016, 09:53:22 PM

I was very tempted to just answer yes, and if it turned out you couldn't, that would be a small measure of payback for all the crap you have inflicted on us and your students.

Also, why exchange currency? You get better rates from an ATM.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Maybe not at an airport ATM, factoring in the service fee.  Timmy, get 200 Euros while you're in Korea.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on August 06, 2016, 12:11:37 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 05, 2016, 09:53:22 PM

I was very tempted to just answer yes, and if it turned out you couldn't, that would be a small measure of payback for all the crap you have inflicted on us and your students.

Also, why exchange currency? You get better rates from an ATM.

Korean banks are complete dicks about foreigners using their cards overseas.

Anyways, I was able to exchange in Seoul.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Prague is great but it's been years since I was there.

Heard mixed things about Vienna.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2016, 12:31:04 AM
Maybe not at an airport ATM, factoring in the service fee.  Timmy, get 200 Euros while you're in Korea.

Almost every airport has an ATM that doesn't have service fees.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014