News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Prague and Vienna.

Started by jimmy olsen, June 16, 2016, 05:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Would love some recommendations on what to see. I already have some ideas, but anyone's in out from folks who have visited or lived there is welcome.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

I was in Prague in May and it's a pretty amazing city. My favourite bar was on Narodni, called 'My' I think, a maze of small corridors connecting underground bars one which had excellent live music.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Get in touch with Psellus. Make sure to not agree to meet in the middle of a communist protest in Istanbul and he will be a great guide :D

More importantly: visit London instead. Way more fun than either of those.

jimmy olsen

Prague - August 7-11th, Vienna 11th-15th, Prague 15-16 (flying out the morning of the 17th).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2016, 05:39:09 AM
Prague - August 7-11th, Vienna 11th-15th, Prague 15-16 (flying out the morning of the 17th).

Ah. I'll be in Prague just the month before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I went to Prague like 10 years ago.  Prague castle is worth visiting.  Maybe I didn't know where to look, but the Czech food that I tried wasn't impressive.  Some of the soups were so salty that they were basically not consumable (a problem that we also encountered in some parts of rural Germany). 

No clue about Vienna. 

Liep

Quote from: Monoriu on June 16, 2016, 05:41:13 AM
I went to Prague like 10 years ago.  Prague castle is worth visiting.  Maybe I didn't know where to look, but the Czech food that I tried wasn't impressive.  Some of the soups were so salty that they were basically not consumable (a problem that we also encountered in some parts of rural Germany). 

No clue about Vienna. 

They make excellent garlic soup. And it's salty because then you drink more Urquell.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

In Vienna you must obviously try to meet Syt. :cheers:

Prague is a relatively small city, very doable in a couple of days (It's all about the castle district & the old town, basically) You can ask celedhring about details for the city, he lived there a while ago. You might want to do a day trip. If you decide to do so, I'd recommend Cesky Krumlov

jimmy olsen

What's the best way to get from one city to the other? Train?

Do I need to buy tickets ahead of time?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2016, 06:47:18 AM

http://www.pragueviennagreenways.org/index.html

Richard Hakluyt

http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Prague.htm#.V2KgvIorJhE

Just looking at the site gave me a pang of nostalgia, haven't been getting out and about enough lately  :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2016, 07:52:57 AM
http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Prague.htm#.V2KgvIorJhE

Just looking at the site gave me a pang of nostalgia, haven't been getting out and about enough lately  :(

Thanks Hakluyt, very good site.  :thumbsup:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2016, 06:47:18 AM

Yes, definitely buy the tickets early.