Who will (or would) you vote for in the US Presidential election?

Started by Savonarola, June 08, 2016, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do (or would) you plan on voting for in November?

Donald Trump
7 (12.7%)
Hillary Clinton
35 (63.6%)
Third Party
6 (10.9%)
Will not vote
4 (7.3%)
Undecided
3 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 09, 2016, 11:52:23 AM
The biggest difference between liberals and conservatives is that for liberals the end justify the means, and no matter what's the corruption they cover up their fellow democrats to maintain control of power.

While the conservatives are purists who impeach their own president, as in Nixon, and fight a soft civil war becuase half of them don't think Trump is a real conservative with conservative values.

4 million conservatives stayed home on 2012 because Mitt Romney was too liberal in their eyes.

The think is, for conservatives the end does not justify the means.

Not really. Leftists are also moronic purists who let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2016, 11:54:00 AM

Yeah the 90s were a terrible time - low unemployment, high productivity growth, booming stock market, budget surpluses, the US totally ascendant in the world, Russia and China quiescent.

Siege and his people have to really get inventive to make his policies seem bad. To the point they just ignore those and focus on irrelevant bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 09, 2016, 11:46:58 AM
Who?

Exactly. What should be famous staple of American Culture destroyed forever, like the peasants living in the ruins of Nineveh never having heard of the Assyrians.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2016, 11:55:59 AM
Quote from: Siege on June 09, 2016, 11:46:58 AM
Who?

Exactly. What should be famous staple of American Culture destroyed forever, like the peasants living in the ruins of Nineveh never having heard of the Assyrians.

When Asserherschelwalkeripal faced off against Steveyoungacharib.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Siege

Oh please, everything good in the 90s wad due to the Republican ran house of Representatives. The 90s were ok despite the Clintons.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Amd yes, the 9/11 was Clinton's fault, just like Zerobama still blames the recession on Bush 2.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

As for the original question, it depends. Is Augustus Sol Invictus running?

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 09, 2016, 12:02:47 PM
Oh please, everything good in the 90s wad due to the Republican ran house of Representatives. The 90s were ok despite the Clintons.

And there it is. Nonsense, bad policies by the President could have wrecked havoc. Instead we had a massive expansion of our free trade and good relations abroad, often with Republican opposition. Though, to be fair, often with the opposition of the Democrats and some of their supporters as well.

That is not to say I agreed with everything Clinton did, far from it, but to say things worked out well despite him is just hilariously delusional.

QuoteAmd yes, the 9/11 was Clinton's fault, just like Zerobama still blames the recession on Bush 2.

So you agree with Zerobama since you are holding him up as an example of truth? Interesting.

Savonarola

Quote from: Martinus on June 09, 2016, 12:07:43 PM
As for the original question, it depends. Is Augustus Sol Invictus running?

He's running for the open Senate seat in (where else?) Florida.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on June 09, 2016, 12:04:23 PM
Amd yes, the 9/11 was Clinton's fault, just like Zerobama still blames the recession on Bush 2.

The difference is that the financial collapse and recession actually occurred during Bush's term. I realize that things like the regular succession of time can confuse some conservatives but it is a pretty elementary distinction.

Now personally I don't think the recession was really much of Bush's fault, in fact I think his people came up with a pretty decent policy response given the political constraints.  Then again, I think bin Laden is actually at fault for 9/11 so I'm weird that way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Seeb, I thought you claimed to be a free market guy.  How can a free market guy support Trump?

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on June 09, 2016, 11:52:23 AM
The biggest difference between liberals and conservatives is that for liberals the end justify the means, and no matter what's the corruption they cover up their fellow democrats to maintain control of power.

While the conservatives are purists who impeach their own president, as in Nixon, and fight a soft civil war becuase half of them don't think Trump is a real conservative with conservative values.

4 million conservatives stayed home on 2012 because Mitt Romney was too liberal in their eyes.

The think is, for conservatives the end does not justify the means.

Republicans never impeached Nixon.  Take a look at what happened to Cap Weinberger and see how purist the Republicans are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

To be fair a lot of republicans acted very honorably over Watergate, even at the cost of their partisan interest.
However, also to be fair that particular breed of republican is rather rare on the ground these days.  Can't see Elliot Richardson being a big macher in the present day GOP.
--Joan Robinson