Vote in the Spanish general election! (yes, AGAIN)

Started by celedhring, June 04, 2016, 09:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you vote as Spain's PM?

1 (3.6%)
3 (10.7%)
9 (32.1%)
1 (3.6%)
4 (14.3%)
2 (7.1%)
3 (10.7%)
1 (3.6%)
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

celedhring

Bunch of polls released today put the merger of the two far left parties (IU and Podemos) firmly in second place, having surpassed the socialdemocrats. Conservatives lead by 2-5 points across polls but they are still miles away from getting a majority.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2016, 11:39:56 AM
The top one for some reason looks to me like he should be an ex-PM of Portugal :mellow:

That's not nice for Pedro Passos Coelho!  :ultra:

Capetan Mihali

What was the name of that right-wing Spanish officer, I believe the head of the Falange, who Franco executed for being essentially too extreme -- kind of Franco's Ernst Roehm?  Anyone recall?  I know he was a martyr for the actual fascist per se element within the Franco contingent.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 10, 2016, 03:57:48 AM
What was the name of that right-wing Spanish officer, I believe the head of the Falange, who Franco executed for being essentially too extreme -- kind of Franco's Ernst Roehm?  Anyone recall?  I know he was a martyr for the actual fascist per se element within the Franco contingent.

José Antonio Primo de Rivera. But he was not executed by Franco, but by the Republican government in the early months of the Spanish Civil War, as he was in jail when it started.

celedhring

There's always been that rumor/myth that Franco turned down Republican overtures for a prisoner exchange involving Primo de Rivera. Much has been said and written about Franco's uncanny ability to have all of his political rivals die accidental deaths/executed by the enemy.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2016, 02:23:48 PM
Tie-loving languishites would be amazed how many of those tie parties have been caught red-handed playing fast and loose with the public treasury, too.

Hey, snappy dressing doesn't come cheap.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2016, 09:57:13 AM
Tie-loving languishites would be amazed how many of those tie parties have been caught red-handed playing fast and loose with the public treasury, too.

Funnily enough, a prominent politician was brought down a while ago over here because of his expensive taste for snappy suits.  :lol:

Brazen

I like the tie-tying guy. Looks like a man of action. Politicians should note this for their publicity shots. DON'T eat bacon sandwiches, go on zip-wires or carry bananas. DO show yourself dressing smartly.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on June 10, 2016, 10:14:01 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2016, 09:57:13 AM

Funnily enough, a prominent politician was brought down a while ago over here because of his expensive taste for snappy suits.  :lol:

Awesome.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

If #5 got a perm he could pass for Inigo Montoya.  I voted for him in the hopes that his parties platform is pro swashbuckling and pro endless cycles of vengeance.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on June 10, 2016, 11:30:44 AMIf #5 got a perm he could pass for Inigo Montoya.  I voted for him in the hopes that his parties platform is pro swashbuckling and pro endless cycles of vengeance.

Well, all the other big parties are out to get him, he's a pretty good verbal swashbuckler and there are tons of jokes about his hair, so at least rhetorically speaking he's your guy.  :lol:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Larch on June 10, 2016, 04:02:56 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 10, 2016, 03:57:48 AM

José Antonio Primo de Rivera. But he was not executed by Franco, but by the Republican government in the early months of the Spanish Civil War, as he was in jail when it started.

Ah yes, the other Primo de Riveras. thank.  Didn't he become something of a martyr to the ultra-right/genuinely- fascist contingent within the Nationalists?  Maybe he still is to some extreme holdouts?

I know Franco didn't like him; Wikipedia says Franco called him a "playboy pinturero."

EDIT:  It also seems like he was the only one to try to introduce some antisemitism into the movement, smashing up the Jewish-owned SEPU department stores.  Of course with so few Jews in Spain, it would've been unlikely to get very far, but interesting that he was casting around for some way to introduce it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on June 10, 2016, 11:30:44 AM
If #5 got a perm he could pass for Inigo Montoya.  I voted for him in the hopes that his parties platform is pro swashbuckling and pro endless cycles of vengeance.

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 10, 2016, 10:26:13 PM
EDIT:  It also seems like he was the only one to try to introduce some antisemitism into the movement, smashing up the Jewish-owned SEPU department stores.  Of course with so few Jews in Spain, it would've been unlikely to get very far, but interesting that he was casting around for some way to introduce it.

The "Judeo-Masonic conspiracy" was one of the regime's preferred boogeymen in the early days and a big part of their propaganda during the post-war years of poverty and international isolation ("why does Spain suck? The joos did it!"). It's hard to tell the bark from the bite, though, since there were almost no jews left to persecute in Spain.

In the 1960s, with the regime looking to get accepted by the international community, the antisemite rethoric was dropped, coinciding with the fall from grace of the Falange (which were indeed the fiercest antisemites in the regime). As part of that, Franco formally abolished the 1492 edict of expulsion.