Vote in the Spanish general election! (yes, AGAIN)

Started by celedhring, June 04, 2016, 09:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you vote as Spain's PM?

1 (3.6%)
3 (10.7%)
9 (32.1%)
1 (3.6%)
4 (14.3%)
2 (7.1%)
3 (10.7%)
1 (3.6%)
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 10, 2016, 10:26:13 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 10, 2016, 04:02:56 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 10, 2016, 03:57:48 AM
What was the name of that right-wing Spanish officer, I believe the head of the Falange, who Franco executed for being essentially too extreme -- kind of Franco's Ernst Roehm?  Anyone recall?  I know he was a martyr for the actual fascist per se element within the Franco contingent.

José Antonio Primo de Rivera. But he was not executed by Franco, but by the Republican government in the early months of the Spanish Civil War, as he was in jail when it started.

Ah yes, the other Primo de Riveras. thank.  Didn't he become something of a martyr to the ultra-right/genuinely- fascist contingent within the Nationalists?  Maybe he still is to some extreme holdouts?

I know Franco didn't like him; Wikipedia says Franco called him a "playboy pinturero."

EDIT:  It also seems like he was the only one to try to introduce some antisemitism into the movement, smashing up the Jewish-owned SEPU department stores.  Of course with so few Jews in Spain, it would've been unlikely to get very far, but interesting that he was casting around for some way to introduce it.

He was in fact the older son of Miguel Primo de Rivera, who led an authocratic dictatorship during the 20s, right before the establishment of the 2nd Republic (in fact the Monarchy was discredited at the time because of its support to the dictatorship). And yes, he was a genuine fascist. He founded the Falange (taking the Italian fascist party as role model), and most of Franco's dictatorship fascist trappings came from there. He was indeed a martyr for the regime and his figure was used extensively for propaganda, even if Franco didn't like him (Franco liked very few people near the top, and it appears that the disliking was mutual amongst many of the other main figures of the rebel side during the SCW).

As Cel said, Franco's favourite boogeyman at the beginning of his dictatorship was the "judeo-masonic conspiracy" against Spain. Franco's obsession was directed mostly towards Freemasons (apparently he had tried to join them when he was younger but was rejected, and he kept being bitter about that afterwards), but Falange did incorporate antisemitism to the equation. When Falange lost its position near the top because obvious fascism had stopped being en vogue, this discourse was quietly dropped, in order to be replaced by ultra-traditional catholicism, with falangist ministers being replaced by Opus Dei ones. Franco was "pragmatic" in that sense and not much of an ideologue, he would adopt whatever strategy that would keep him in power. At the beginning his regime was outrigh fascist, after WWII they dropped some of that and then in order to be accepted by the international community they switched to stress their anti communism.

celedhring

The Spanish far right party Vox (not pictured in the poll since they have the same chance of getting MPs than I do of scoring with a supermodel), have debuted their campaign slogan: "Hacer España Grande Otra Vez" (Make Spain Great Again) :D

Trump should sue.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on June 14, 2016, 04:10:07 AM
The Spanish far right party Vox (not pictured in the poll since they have the same chance of getting MPs than I do of scoring with a supermodel), have debuted their campaign slogan: "Hacer España Grande Otra Vez" (Make Spain Great Again) :D

:o

This bodes ill for Mexico and Peru.   :(

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

A few party leaders from the far right party discussed above (Vox) have been arrested in Gibraltar after unfurling a 18-meter Spanish flag from the top of the rock. One of them has been able to escape the Royal Police by diving into the sea and swimming back to Spanish land :lol:

They have uploaded it on youtube under the title "Vox conquers Gibraltar": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr--3rMlliw

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Is it a crime to display the Spanish flag in Gibraltar?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 01:34:09 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/gibraltar/10832508/Gibraltar-flag-raising-leads-to-arrests-of-Spanish-journalists.html

Quote"It seems the intention is to accuse them of a breach of public order for placing a flag on a public beach in Gibraltar."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 01:34:09 PM

I'm guessing that you need the permission of the local planning authority to fly a flag that large...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

Some of them already had outstanding warrants for stealing one of the concrete blocks that the Gibraltar government sank in the gulf to mark their territorial waters.

Here's the party leader, posing with the trophy claimed from the Perfidious Albion:

Valmy

Spain can have Gibraltar back as soon as it gives Ceuta and Melilla to Morocco.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2016, 03:58:19 PM
Spain can have Gibraltar back as soon as it gives Ceuta and Melilla to Morocco.

None of that is going to happen anytime soon, so better not to waste much breath arguing for it.

Sheilbh

YAAAAY!

We're at the fruit market stage of the election which I really like.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2016, 03:58:19 PM
Spain can have Gibraltar back as soon as it gives back Olivença to Portugal.

Fixed, you bloody islamo-Moroccan apologist!  :mad:  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 06:30:10 AM
YAAAAY!

We're at the fruit market stage of the election which I really like.

VOX is a joke with no real impact overall so this is just a funny side story. If you want silly antics amongst the big parties, you might want to check the brouhaha about Pedro Sánchez apparently wiping his hand after shaking it with a black family or the jumbotron-gate in Barcelona with Ciudadanos sponsoring one for people to watch Spain's games during the Eurocup claiming that the city council wanted to ban them because they're a bunch of nasty independentists or something.  :lol: