News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Book recommendations please

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2009, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm heading off to the Canary Islands next week and would like to take with me 3-4 good short-to-medium-length novels (probably as audiobooks, so I can listen to them while sipping my cuba libres and lying in the sun).

I'm looking for some American or British authors, 20th century or late 19th century, of the likes of W. Burroughs, Palahniuk, Vonnegut etc. (I haven't read many books by them either, so if you can recommend good books by them feel free - chances are I haven't read them yet). I like "weird" stories and queer/gay themes are an extra plus.

So far I am considering taking the Naked Lunch by Burroughs (I've read his "Queer" before) and possibly "Fight Club" but it feels like a school curriculum so far so feel free to recommend something less mainstread.

fhdz

You would love James Morrow's Towing Jehovah.
and the horse you rode in on

Cerr

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2009, 07:21:49 AM
I like "weird" stories and queer/gay themes are an extra plus.

If this is the case, anything by Christopher Rice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

I'm going to the Canaries in a couple of weeks as well. The biggest one of them. And speaking of Vonnegut, is Slaughterhouse Five a good start if you haven't really read sci-fi before? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Lucidor

Quote from: Liep on March 10, 2009, 04:17:19 PM
I'm going to the Canaries in a couple of weeks as well. The biggest one of them. And speaking of Vonnegut, is Slaughterhouse Five a good start if you haven't really read sci-fi before? :P
It's excellent, but not very sci-fi. Asimov is a good start. Latest good scifi I read is the Ender series. Get Ender's Game and Speaker for the dead and you should be allright. The author is Orson Scott Card.

Martinus: Have you read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

A Soldier of the Great War is fabulous on tape.  Helprin's writing style works well when just spoken.  It is very very long, though, so might not be what you are looking for.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody.

I actually ended up with some of the books suggested here by an independent research, so hope you guys weren't joking (I'm looking at you, garbo). :p

My holiday list includes:

- Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
- The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde (I've read that one before but just got it for good measure)
- Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
- Light Before Day by Christopher Rice
- Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin, and
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

katmai

those might have just enough gayness for you, just barely though.  :p
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
I actually ended up with some of the books suggested here by an independent research, so hope you guys weren't joking (I'm looking at you, garbo). :p

Hey, you said "weird" with gay themes.  Mme. Rice's son definitely fits the bill. :D

And actually, I own three of his four books. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Oh, they also had other books by Christopher Rice on the website. Which one would you recommend the most? :P

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on March 10, 2009, 07:07:10 PM
Maupin is pretty gay, I'm led to believe. :p

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2009, 07:10:23 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 10, 2009, 07:07:10 PM
Maupin is pretty gay, I'm led to believe. :p

It's a good book actually.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son