News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Book recommendations please

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2009, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Wow, Berkut, you really have an axe to grind, don't you? I said I want dark and ironic books, preferably (but not exclusively) with some gay theme and you make out of it some sort of gay obsession. Why don't you find something to do with your life, rather than just bitch and moan constantly - you haven't offered any helpful recommendation in a thread asking for some, so why bother to open it and/or post in it at all?

I want books that are easy and relaxing to read. Such books usually feature some sort of romance or sexual theme, even if it is in the background. I prefer such themes, if present, not to involve the kind of sexual behaviour that I find sick, repugnant and disgusting - i.e. straight sex.

Berkut

Marty, let the anger go - I WAS offering a helpful suggestion, but you are blinded by your rage, so you cannot see it.

You really do need that gaycation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Does that apply to your choice of wine to drink as well?

"Sorry waiter, but that red is not nearly fruity enough for me, and it reminds me of repugnant man-woman sex. Can I get a puke bucket and a nice bubbly wine cooler please?"

0 rows returned

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2009, 01:23:30 PM
I want books that are easy and relaxing to read. Such books usually feature some sort of romance or sexual theme, even if it is in the background. I prefer such themes, if present, not to involve the kind of sexual behaviour that I find sick, repugnant and disgusting - i.e. straight sex.

:D
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

Quote from: fahdiz on March 13, 2009, 01:29:07 PM

But don't you dare find steamy man-man-sex sick, repugnant and disgusting - it'll make you a narrowminded faghater who's uncomfortable with his sexuality.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM
Marty, let the anger go - I WAS offering a helpful suggestion, but you are blinded by your rage, so you cannot see it.

You really do need that gaycation.
Yeah I can totally see how "What a drag that your obsession with your sexuality dominates your life to such a degree that you have to filter your choice of entertainment through a is it gay enough? lens." is a helpful suggestion. ::)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 01:32:08 PM
But don't you dare find steamy man-man-sex sick, repugnant and disgusting - it'll make you a narrowminded faghater who's uncomfortable with his sexuality.

Consider that Marty's post was for rhetorical flourish. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:35:52 PM
Yeah I can totally see how "What a drag that your obsession with your sexuality dominates your life to such a degree that you have to filter your choice of entertainment through a is it gay enough? lens." is a helpful suggestion. ::)

It is.

I wonder if there would be a market for re-writing best sellers to be gay-friendly?

0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 12:24:00 PM
What a drag that your obsession with your sexuality dominates your life to such a degree that you have to filter your choice of entertainment through a is it gay enough? lens.

Wanna know what's sad? Me, reading a lawyer-themed book.  :'(

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:36:42 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 01:32:08 PM

You think?  ???
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:36:42 PM

That's precisely why I laughed - he couldn't possibly be meat-headed enough to get as bent out of shape as he does about gay issues and then mean such a thing seriously. :)
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:37:05 PM
It is.

I wonder if there would be a market for re-writing best sellers to be gay-friendly?

No it isn't.

Although I like the idea that all of my posts were helpful advice. :D

garbon

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:39:50 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 01:38:43 PM
You think?  ???

Your post wasn't funny. :blurgh:

I garnished it with 100% German funny bone.

As for Mart, I honestly don't know when he's joking and when he isn't, beause he's very tetchy on the whole issue. Best I just ignore his posts for a while to avoid any misunderstandings. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

I found just what you are looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Cooties-Katie-Kazoo-Switcheroo/dp/0448427052/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236969157&sr=1-2
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson