News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Book recommendations please

Started by Martinus, March 10, 2009, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 01:40:18 PM
I garnished it with 100% German funny bone.

My german teacher tries to make jokes. We just look at her blankly until she tells us that we were supposed to laugh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:36:42 PM
Consider that Marty's post was for rhetorical flourish. :P
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:39:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:37:05 PM
It is.

I wonder if there would be a market for re-writing best sellers to be gay-friendly?

No it isn't.

Yes it is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:42:24 PM
My german teacher tries to make jokes. We just look at her blankly until she tells us that we were supposed to laugh.

I think that's more teacher based, though. I never had a funny teacher before college/uni.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Anyway, onto a serious recommendation - I read this book relatively recently, and it was very well written and entertaining, somewhat dark, *and* centred on a gay love story:

http://www.amazon.com/Persian-Boy-Mary-Renault/dp/0394751019

Recommended.

Heck, I'd read it on the beach.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

Naked Lunch isn't exactly "beach-reading"... You should read "3 Day Road" by Joseph Boyden. Best Great War novel since the Regeneration trilogy.
:p

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:39:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:37:05 PM
It is.

I wonder if there would be a market for re-writing best sellers to be gay-friendly?

No it isn't.

Yes it is.

???
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2009, 01:44:12 PM
I think that's more teacher based, though. I never had a funny teacher before college/uni.

Should have said professor.  After all, I'm talking about my current german class.

Berkut

Here you go Marty:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Gay-Books/lm/R2XEG5EKG9Q7MT

it is a smorgasbord of homo-fiction. Nothing puke worthy to be seen, I am sure.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:51:36 PM
Here you go Marty:

That's a good list Mart. Any book by Alan Hollinghurst is awesome.
:p

Martinus

Quote from: fahdiz on March 13, 2009, 01:38:56 PM

That's precisely why I laughed - he couldn't possibly be meat-headed enough to get as bent out of shape as he does about gay issues and then mean such a thing seriously. :)
Yeah, but I naturally like characters who I can relate to more than those I can't. Sexuality is one of the important traits of one's identity. :)

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:51:36 PM
Here you go Marty:

Thanks.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2009, 02:29:48 PM
Thanks.  :)

Only negative is that the list was just made by a random amazon user.

Capetan Mihali

"City of Night" by John Rechy is a book I enjoyed a lot, covering gay life/male hustling life in the US (NY, LA, Chicago, New Orleans) in the early 60's.  It's not that "weird" per se but it's a good read.

Any of the classic Genet novels are great -- "Our Lady of Flowers," "Miracle of the Rose," "Querelle of Brest" -- as are the plays, if you feel like reading drama.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

And really, what could possibly be wrong with a gay man wanting to read books relating to gay male life?  If wanting to read things that relate to your own experiences is wrong, someone needs to take on Updike, Cheever, the entire genres of street lit and Harlequin romance, etc. as soon as possible.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM
Marty, let the anger go - I WAS offering a helpful suggestion, but you are blinded by your rage, so you cannot see it.

You really do need that gaycation.

You "help" is rarely helpful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017