(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I guess, on consideration, ultimately my objection to overreaction to unfunny or bad jokes is that I generally like comedy, and if bad jokes meet with too harsh of a reaction, this may have a chilling effect on edgy jokes that are actually funny - thus depriving me of my entertainment.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:00:11 PM
I guess, on consideration, ultimately my objection to overreaction to unfunny or bad jokes is that I generally like comedy, and if bad jokes meet with too harsh of a reaction, this may have a chilling effect on edgy jokes that are actually funny - thus depriving me of my entertainment.

You also hate Jews.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2016, 05:00:50 PM

You also hate Jews.

My boyfriend is Jewish.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2016, 05:00:50 PM

You also hate Jews.

Aren't you forgetting something?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
My boyfriend is Jewish.

That's just you reinforcing your own self-loathing.  As predictable as clear heels and a stripper pole.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2016, 05:04:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
My boyfriend is Jewish.

That's just you reinforcing your own self-loathing.  As predictable as clear heels and a stripper pole.

Milo is Jewish too.  :secret:

CountDeMoney

Face it, you're a Circle-K kind and sensitive person. Lulz, Circle-Kuck.  I just made that one up.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 04:56:42 PM
I suspect it's absurdist. There is probably also an element of an in-joke there. Like, Languish's "Who the fuck are you?" which is probably deeply unfunny for anyone who is not "in".
To be honest I think it's more plausible that it's just anti-semites than that it's an absurdist in-joke.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:12:47 PM
Wassat?

Circle K is a kosher label on food products one would see in a grocery store.

Although I can appreciate you not knowing that, since there are so few Jews in Poland these days, due to their massive demographic changes years ago because of the high costs of the real estate market.  [berkut]Jews want to live in Warsaw that's their problem[/berkut]

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2016, 04:55:09 PM
Sure but I can't even see the outline for a joke.

There's racist memes and stuff that I don't find funny and think offensive, but I can see how it's a joke. I literally have no idea how identifying someone as Jewish works on that level.

It's identifying Jews as warning to others, and for targeting later.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 04:56:42 PM
I suspect it's absurdist.

So are these guys clownish teenagers or are they sophisticated cultural critics with an exquisite taste an irony?

You almost had me willing to believe the first, but they only thing absurdist about calling a complete stranger a "slimy Jewess" who should "burn in the oven" is the person trying to defend it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

SIGH

The "joke" is that the person holds views associated with Jews (depending on your flavour of idiot, it is either liberalism, or just whatever the idiot disagrees with). So pointing out his/her Jewishness is in fact a snappy, witty revelation of the true motivation behind the points the person is making.

And as for the general topic, I don't think such antisemitic comments should be banned or sanctioned. They should be shunned and peer-pressured into silence, because that is how free speech is supposed to work: if everyone is voicing their opinions, the fringe should have trouble heard.

But that is not what happening. What is usually happening is that one colour of radical is yelling one flavour of idiocy (far-right scum), triggering a reaction from the SJW and assorted far-left mirror images on the other side, while the majority is silent.

Now, whether this is a problem in a general societal context is yet to see. We just can't possibly know because social media and the Internet are totally new phenomena and the effect of the radicals dominating discourse can have any effect from none to decisive and ruinous. Then again, trying to curtail them have possible outcomes on the exact unpredictable scale.

Of course it is hard to argue that on the political front, inaction by the moderates to defend their own moderation has caused horrible problems, from Orban's Hungary through the Le Pens and UKIPs of the world, to Future President Trump.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2016, 10:07:10 AM
SIGH

The "joke" is that the person holds views associated with Jews (depending on your flavour of idiot, it is either liberalism, or just whatever the idiot disagrees with). So pointing out his/her Jewishness is in fact a snappy, witty revelation of the true motivation behind the points the person is making.

Yeah and that's anti-semitism, even if you say it's "a joke".

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2016, 11:30:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2016, 10:07:10 AM
SIGH

Yeah and that's anti-semitism, even if you say it's "a joke".

that was exactly my point