News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weekend Work Emails Are Now Illegal In France

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2016, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 27, 2016, 04:46:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2016, 04:38:17 PMOn the competitiveness point I think that could be said about any other labour law, but I don't find it persuasive. We're in developed, rich companies and our competitiveness should be coming from the quality of the work and the sort of added value not just a numbers game.

I work for one of the most successful law firms in the world. Client surveys repeatedly say that responsiveness is a key component of success - because quality is a given. I would be surprised if it was different in most of the other developed, rich companies.

Your quality is extremely consistent. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 27, 2016, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2016, 04:38:17 PMOn the competitiveness point I think that could be said about any other labour law, but I don't find it persuasive. We're in developed, rich companies and our competitiveness should be coming from the quality of the work and the sort of added value not just a numbers game.

I work for one of the most successful law firms in the world. Client surveys repeatedly say that responsiveness is a key component of success - because quality is a given. I would be surprised if it was different in most of the other developed, rich companies.

Your quality is extremely consistent. :)

:lol:

Sheilbh

Sure. But I really do think France is kind of on to something with their 'the customer's not always right' theory :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Shouldn't it be something for companies and employees, not the state, to decide?

Sheilbh

It seems like that is what France is doing. Companies with over 50 employees have to decide this sort of issue through a works council - but it's not law yet.

I think that works in countries with robust employee representation, but probably wouldn't in the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2016, 04:53:10 PM
Sure. But I really do think France is kind of on to something with their 'the customer's not always right' theory :P

Unfortunately the customer is the one who decides where to spend their money.

I get the impression your friends who "sort of have to have a work phone" are all upper middle class yuppies, which I believe reinforces my point.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2016, 04:56:29 PM
I get the impression your friends who "sort of have to have a work phone" are all upper middle class yuppies, which I believe reinforces my point.
Surely middle anything is middling?

As I said, we're all graduates in London. I think we're about average for our class and age. But I'm certainly middling as are friends in academia and the NHS (not doctors). It's not just something that only affects high-earners who chose that career.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I think it's silly to go into a career that expects you to read your emails over weekend, and then complain that it does. There are plenty of careers that do not have this expectation - your friends should go into those (only they pay much less).

mongers

I'm answering a works email now:

"FUCK THE LOT OF YOU"

:showoff:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on May 27, 2016, 05:05:23 PM
I think it's silly to go into a career that expects you to read your emails over weekend, and then complain that it does. There are plenty of careers that do not have this expectation - your friends should go into those (only they pay much less).
Really? What career? I mean even the ones in the public sector (and I don't know any government lawyers, doctors or fast stream civil servants) have to be responsive now.

As I say I've one friend who did but there aren't many jobs working for arts unions :P

I think it's weird that we've totally normalised and accepted what was considered really intrusive not very long ago. But as I say that seems to be the way working culture goes unless there is legislation to create new norms - like parental leave.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

I think you overestimate the number of people who plan their careers.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on May 27, 2016, 05:06:23 PM

"FUCK THE LOT OF YOU"

Darling, you never struck me as someone who has a successful career. :hug:

Martinus

Quote from: Maladict on May 27, 2016, 05:10:04 PM

I think you overestimate the number of people who plan their careers.

Should we interfere with lives of the successful people because the majority are mindless sheeple?

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on May 27, 2016, 05:10:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 27, 2016, 05:06:23 PM

"FUCK THE LOT OF YOU"

Darling, you never struck me as someone who has a successful career. :hug:

From you, I'll take that as a compliment.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

A successful person is one who is obliged to reply to his work emails at the weekend?

Interesting  :hmm: