News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you down with TPP?

Started by derspiess, May 24, 2016, 04:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you favor the Trans-Pacific Partnership?

Yeah, you know me.
15 (44.1%)
No.
9 (26.5%)
Let's just trade away Jaron.
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

If I was American I would be pleased.   As a Canadian I am wary of the dispute resolution procedures.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 24, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
No. It's trademarks & copyrights demands are appalling.

Same.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

What do you guys object to?  I skimmed the relevant wiki but don't feel particularly enlightened.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2016, 10:33:00 PM
What do you guys object to?  I skimmed the relevant wiki but don't feel particularly enlightened.

just throwing it out there, but if TPP enforces american copyright laws on oceania, some people might be upset that asian companies would have the ability to protect their intellectual property

Monoriu

The most surprising thing to me is actually the thread title.  Until now, I have no idea what "are you down with ___" means. 

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on May 24, 2016, 10:43:26 PM
The most surprising thing to me is actually the thread title.  Until now, I have no idea what "are you down with ___" means. 

https://youtu.be/6xGuGSDsDrM
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

All of it. It's extension of everything. Longer terms, more controls, curtails fair uses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Some provisions of the accord, like the intellectual property are not entirely to my liking, as I think they disfavour inovations and do not protect consumer rights of fair use.

I'm still on the fence if the advantages we gain outweight the downside of these, but it ain't entirely negative, as Trump & Sanders would paint it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Mainly that the copyright holder decides what is fair use now.

Say I want to watch Game of Thrones. My recorder got broken the other day.  The only legal way for me to watch it would have been to log on The Movie Network site and use their stream to watch it.  In low definition, highly pixelated.

Instead, I went online and downloaded a torrent.  Since I am a paid subscriber of HBO, if I were to get sued, I could have a defense there, if corporations bother to sue in Canada, which they don't for now.  With the TPP, I would have been sued by HBO for hundreds of thousands of dollars and "fair use" would not have been a legitimate defense.

Besides, all these geoblock are obsolete nowadays.  We should move toward easing such restrictions to access content, not impede with market laws.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Basically I am down with TPP. I do think the government has to watch itself here, these agreements are getting steadily less popular even as they continue to work. Putting a bunch of controversial measures in might doom it in the Senate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

My problem with these kinds of treaties is that once you get into them, they become very hard to adjust. It is hard enough to tweak national level laws when you realize they aren't quite working the way you want - it is basically impossible to tweak an international, multi-state treaty once some part of one of those states figures out a way to exploit some weakness in the deal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on May 25, 2016, 08:23:37 AM
Mainly that the copyright holder decides what is fair use now..

Completely untrue.
The applicable TPP provision is Article 18.66:

QuoteEach Party shall endeavour to achieve an appropriate balance in its copyright and related rights system, among other things by means of limitations or exceptions that are consistent with Article 18.65 (Limitations and Exceptions), including those for the digital environment, giving due consideration to legitimate purposes such as, but not limited to: criticism; comment; news reporting; teaching, scholarship, research, and other similar purposes; and facilitating access to published works for persons who are blind, visually impaired or otherwise print disabled.

18.65 merely states that exceptions and limitations cannot conflict with normal exploitation of the work and "does not unreasonably prejudice" the rightholder.

Nothing in the treaty would require a party to allow copyright holders to define fair use.  Indeed such a standard would conflict with 18.66 requirement of balance.  (it would also conflict with US law BTW).

AFAIK the TPP is the only treaty of its kind to incorporate an actual requirement that states implement a fair use regime in copyright.  So that particular criticism is really misplaced.

What you may have been thinking of  is that the TPP would extend prohibitions on the use of devices to circumvent technological prevention measures, as is currently included in the American DMCA law.  That I could see giving rise to objections and concerns although in my understanding it hasn't caused any signficiant problems in the US.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson